Hobie PA12 bigger rudder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie PA12 bigger rudder.

So I finally got to test the bigger rudder that Hobie came out with for the Pro Angler (PA), that I installed a couple weeks ago. It is definitely bigger than the stock one and sticks out a little past the back of the kayak, but not past the carrying handle. It is an awesome upgrade, for only $30 (order mine from Austin Kayak) you can't beat it. You don't have to have as much forward momentum from a stop to start turning, and you don't have to turn the steering handle as much to make a sharp turn. It also help a lot with the tracking. I found myself last year getting annoyed constantly making small adjustments to keep it on a straight path. With the bigger rudder I can take my hands off and it will track realativly straight. It wasn't too hard to install either. The biggest pain was fighting the spring to line the hole in order to put the pin back through. After that it was a breeze.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Thanks for the review! I have the 2014 PA12 and have to adjust the rudder constantly to keep a track. And I do mean constantly. The 2015 has a skeg that probably helps with that problem, so I've been thinking of ways to add something like that to mine. It's nice that Hobie continues to improve their products. I just wish the gave some thought to last year's buyers. Maybe the larger rudder is a reasonable compromise. Has anyone tried the 2015 PA to see if the addition of the skeg adds much beyond the rudder change?

Comment

I like the idea of the Skeg on the new 2015's, but I don't like the extended hobie rail. I do still have to make minor adjustments but not nearly as much as I did with smaller rudder. I feel once I found the center it tracked relatively straight.
      Travis
      Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
      Orange Old Town NEXT
      USN

Comment

Thanks for the review. I took my 2013 Hobie PA that I purchased used out for the first time Friday. It was quite windy but I had a hard time turning and thought there may even be something wrong with the rudder. Often the boat would turn the opposite direction from the way I had the rudder turned. Very odd. Got back in and checked the rudder and it worked fine. I guess I'll try the rudder upgrade and hope for the best.

Comment

i did the larger rudder install as well and its great.

I can turn in a 3 ft radius while leaning in a complete circle.

It deff fixes alot of the same complaints I had that you stated.
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
          X