Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wednesday - Saltwater newbie! Off work! Need to fish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday - Saltwater newbie! Off work! Need to fish!

Hey Snaggedliners,

I'm off of work this Wednesday because I have to work Saturday. I've only been in freshwater and the tidal Potomac so far with my rig, but I'd really like to try for some stripers tomorrow. Since it would be my first time in brackish/salt I'd really like to go with someone more experienced. I'd really like to just be able to shadow someone that know's what they are doing. I've read Alan's book cover to cover and follow this site everyday, so now I just need to get out there. I'm concerned about safety, and I believe in safety in numbers. I just got my Lowrance Elite 5 HDI rigged up on my Hobie i14t so I'd really like to try everything out.

Is anyone up for fishing Jonas Point, Severn River, etc. tomorrow at any time? If anyone else is already going out I'd really like to join in. I've got some X Raps and Paddle tails ready to go.

I look forward to hearing from any and all takers!
    Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
    2015 Hobie Outback

I hope you can find a fishing partner for Wed. I will not be out there due to other commitments. I fished this morning between the two bridges. It was quite challenging to troll and keep baits clean due to a huge amount of tree debris. The tan seed clusters (like pipe cleaners) were all over the place. There were a few leaves, many flowering tree petals, and other debris. I had to frequently wind in my lines to clean the lures. I did manage a few fish, but far fewer than yesterday when I fished downstream from the bridges.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks J.A.. Debris fouling the line are always frustrating. I'm open to other suggestions for places to fish if anyone has good recommendations. I'm still in a skunk pattern for 2015 so even one in the boat would really make me feel good. I trolled a rattle trap and a shad rap around the Potomac in D.C. for 4 hours on Saturday without even a bump. Saw lots of shad, but had no shad darts.
      Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

That i14T looks like a cool boat. Winds forecast pretty light tomorrow, 75 degrees air temp and water temps are finally above 60 degrees in the bay (probably about 65 in the Severn) so you should be good to go.

Haven't seen anything lately but Beverly Triton and Ft. Smallwood were getting good reports and you may be able to get away from the tree goo by going to one of those.

I've never been to Ft. Smallwood but my approach at BT is just to troll straight out from the beach until I get hit and mark that depth. Then troll around at that same depth. If they are in 12' or less you should be within 1/2 mile from shore.

Sorry I can't make it out myself. Good luck - I hope someone can join you.

Comment

Greg,

I'm off tomorrow as well. I was considering fishing Sandy Point or Beverly Triton. If we fish the morning, we will be fishing the outgoing tide. I don't have much of a choice because my evening isn't open.

Also, I will point out that some of the other guys on here are much more experienced. There is a lot of guessing and testing on my part, but if the fish are there I usually catch some. You're welcome to tag along.

R/
          Steve

Comment

Greg/ Steve,

I'm off work tomorrow as well... Im looking to get out at any location early am.

Mike

Comment

Mike, wind doesnt look until about 8 or 9am. Thoughts?

Greg would probably fair better at BT as far as sea state.

Comment

I'm down for that. BT sounds good. Earlier the better... Is bt open early? I have never fished there

Comment

Park technically opens at 7am. Given the wind prediction should we meet at 8am?

Comment

Steve,

Sounds good, I will be there at 8am

Mike

Comment

Sounds good. I'll see you guys at 8. Are there any tackle shops that open early near there? I wanted to pick up some jig heads if I can.
                      Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

If you're not looking for anything specific I can bring extras. Not sure about bait shops down that way.

Comment

Greg,
                          I also have jig heads ( my tackle bag is better than going to bass pro). Lmao. I will give you some too. See yall in the am

Mike

Comment

Gents, windalert now shows very good winds all morning. I recommend meeting at 715am. On the water by 730.

Comment

Sounds good to me. I planned to be early anyway. I will be there. 7am

Comment

Working...
                              X