Paddling lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddling lesson

Ok, I was finally able to get my maiden voyage in Saturday. it was an ok experience, but ended up turtleing trying to stand in my air pro max seat. I was able to fish sitting down ok, but I had more of an issue with no experience paddling before. Felt like the boat was being still and i wasn't moving lol. I can't wait to go out again to get better, maybe catch fish next time out11205011_10204360318307880_6381442738696796799_n.jpg11048753_10204360317307855_2752113469645958067_n.jpg

I'm not sure if I follow...you were trying to stand ON the seat, ON your maiden voyage, with NO previous paddling experience? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...er, turtling.

Glad you're excited to get back out. I would suggest staying seated until you get a better feel for the balance point of your kayak, and get used to how it reacts to shifting your weight around...oh, and if you were actually trying to stand ON the seat, I would advise against that. It's not a flats skiff with a poling platform...although, I have seen videos of people putting a poling platform on the back of a kayak.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      I'm not sure if I follow...you were trying to stand ON the seat, ON your maiden voyage, with NO previous paddling experience? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...er, turtling.

Glad you're excited to get back out. I would suggest staying seated until you get a better feel for the balance point of your kayak, and get used to how it reacts to shifting your weight around...oh, and if you were actually trying to stand ON the seat, I would advise against that. It's not a flats skiff with a poling platform...although, I have seen videos of people putting a poling platform on the back of a kayak.
      no, I'm sorry I didn't stand ON the seat, I was trying to lift the seat to the high position when i turtled. I removed the lower seat and added the pro max seat. I had stood up before when I first went out, but after a while my legs were sore, I wanted to stand to stretch, and I found i difficult to jig while sitting down.

Comment

Peddling keeps my legs from cramping or getting sore, but I do need to get my arse out of the seat to stretch after 4-5 hours. I just put my hands on each side of the kayak and get my tail off the seat. I have stood a few times on my kayak, but even with it being 33" wide it doesn't feel all that stable with my feet being above the waterline. Longer rod(s) are better for kayak fishing, so you can stay seated and "reach" for better presentation or be able to get the rod tip around the nose or tail of the kayak while fighting a fish. My kayak is only 12 feet long, so 6 1/2 - 7' rods are plenty.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

all my rods are 7' and my meat stick is 7'3. I just thought the line was too much slack when i was trying to jig. I did find that putting my feet in the water straddling my ride 135 works to get some feeling in my legs. I liked the fact that i could grab snagged lures and cast a mile with little effort. I just need to practice paddling techniques. I'd like to go a pretty good distanced and get away from the launch area

Comment

I dangle my feet over the side when I put bluefish in the kayak, don't need their teeth chewing on my toes.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I also believe I need to check the orientation of my blades. They may be twisted. I just watched a youtube video from Paddle tv

Comment

Glad you were able to get out and are excited to get back out! Bummer on the turtle, but it happens. I am wit cowpokey on trying to get used to the kayak first to see how it balances and handles and then move towards standing. You might also want to take it out and leave all of your fishing gear in the car and play around with standing, that way there are no issues with losing gear if you roll. I try and make sure I have a nice wide stance when I get up and that helps. When I have my feet in the middle it likes to rock a lot more. I'm sure you will get used to it. There are plenty of guys on here that stand in their kayaks on a regular basis.

Good luck next time you get out!
                WS ATAK

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  Peddling keeps my legs from cramping or getting sore, but I do need to get my arse out of the seat to stretch after 4-5 hours. I just put my hands on each side of the kayak and get my tail off the seat. I have stood a few times on my kayak, but even with it being 33" wide it doesn't feel all that stable with my feet being above the waterline.

Well, you have a higher center of gravity than most!

Comment

I'm gonna put the low seat on next time. And learn how to paddle properly so I can make some distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X