Long Paddle to Cedar Point yields a few shorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Paddle to Cedar Point yields a few shorts

I love a long paddle on a sunny light-winded Sunday afternoon.....
    Since I don't have Pax River N.A.S. access, fishing Cedar point is always a very long paddle. Today, over nine miles for one spin around the old Lighthouse site.
    The good news is that the weather was great..

....and I caught a few fish on lures I was fishing because I just like them....a Braid brand saltwater swimbait (Outlet Bait and Tackle special)

and a hand-tied bucktail that came in my captain's bag at the CBKA tourney 2-3 years ago. I can't remember who tied it, but I have used it each May since. It always catches something. Sentimental favorite.......whoever tied that one up, I'd like a few others.

... the fish were all between 18 and 20...two nice healthy ones and a scabby one.....interestingly, the sick one took that big 7" swimbait. I'm hoping that tough guy makes it! I also had a big cloud of what I am sure was croaker swim under the boat late in the afternoon......the only sign of croaker all day, but if you have ever had a big school swim under the boat before, it looks pretty distinct on the FishFinder.

So, just wanted to give a little So MD report. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has hooked up with the big ones this far south (other than at the CCNPP rips).
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Kevin - I'm impressed that you went from Solomon's (I assume your launch point) and went out to the lighthouse site. Heck the first 3 plus miles you can't even fish right now. That is dedication to your sport and well done on catching a few. My trips to the Potomac have been a bust so far, so no big fish to report.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Kevin - I'm impressed that you went from Solomon's (I assume your launch point) and went out to the lighthouse site. Heck the first 3 plus miles you can't even fish right now. That is dedication to your sport and well done on catching a few. My trips to the Potomac have been a bust so far, so no big fish to report.
      I've done crazier....launched from end of Tippet Rd last year and paddled all the way to cedar point......wind kicked up and I had to ditch on the way back. That would have been my longest paddle ever..roughly 16 miles if I'd completed it.

Comment

Whoooo 16 miles what yak did you do that in. I known I wouldn't want to do that in the Malibu.
        Tan-Tarpon 140
        Lime-Pelican Matrix
        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

yeah it would have been in the stealth 14.....lots of stopping to cast. When i was going north the wind was out of the NW adn I was like "Good. It will blow me home". Well of course when it is time to go home.....wind spun around from the SW and picked up. I ditched at Cedar cove and called the wife for a rescue LOL

This Sunday, however, the wind got more and more still. ......I am not in paddling shape yet, however, I was pretty done at 9 miles of basically constant trolling.

Comment

Hahah I cant tell you the amount of times I paddle against the wind thinking I will get a "help" home only for the wind to change directions. Guess I should read more into wind forecasts.
            Tan-Tarpon 140
            Lime-Pelican Matrix
            Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Working...
            X