Camping on the Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping on the Bay?

I'm wondering whether there are legal places on the Chesapeake to pitch a tent for a night. I'm thinking that if there was a place to put in at which you could safely leave a vehicle, paddle and fish your way to a place to camp for a night, and then paddle and fish your way back the next day, that would be great fun. How does a guy know where he can legally cam and where not? Does a map of some kind exist? Is this a good idea or just crazy talk?
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

I'm sure there are some great areas in the lower, less populated parts of the bay (look up kayak Kevin's Chesapeake bay trip for details) unfortunately that's an area I'm not too familiar with. The small island next to Hartmiller island (I think it's called pleasure island) does have camping. I think memorial through Labor Day -according to signs posted there. It's about a mile from rocky point park launch.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

While not technically the bay, I'll be looking to go kayak camping this season on Assateague Island in the backcountry camping spots they have available. They're first come first serve. http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

I was hoping to go out sooner rather than later but my calendar is booking up quick for the weekends
      Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
      Perception America 11'

Comment

The beaches are not private unless its fed goverment land behind it ..we the people own the beaches

Comment

Keep your legs in the kayak at assateague...
          http://www.wboc.com/category/286224/wboc-weather-blog

Originally posted by xenolithic View Post
          While not technically the bay, I'll be looking to go kayak camping this season on Assateague Island in the backcountry camping spots they have available. They're first come first serve. http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

I was hoping to go out sooner rather than later but my calendar is booking up quick for the weekends
          2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Laxdawg14 View Post
            Keep your legs in the kayak at assateague...
            http://www.wboc.com/category/286224/wboc-weather-blog
            Oh sh----!

I was going to kayak the back bay area and go flounder fishing when the water warms a little more. Still will, but will try not to re-enact scenes from Jaws.
            Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
            Perception America 11'

Comment

Find a public launch on the eastern shore of VA and paddle to any one of the many islands (find one with dry sand above the tide line). Look at google earth to find areas along the bayside. So long as you pick up all of your trash (and then some) and don't start a fire I doubt anyone even cares/knows you're there. We'll often fish all day without seeing more than a few boats.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

i miss when you used to be able to camp and fish overnight at ft smallwood... my father used to take me all the time as a kid
                Michael
                2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by xenolithic View Post
                  ... camping this season on Assateague Island in the backcountry camping spots they have available. They're first come first serve. http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm
                  I've been there many times... although I am unfamiliar with camping on the bayside if that is what you thinking about. If there is a west wind mosquitos and black flies can be horrendous... let me restate that.. will be horrendous. I have avoided the bayside spots because of this.. and I believe you have more of a fighting chance on the ocean side in those conditions.

Have fun.. it's a great place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                    Find a public launch on the eastern shore of VA and paddle to any one of the many islands (find one with dry sand above the tide line). Look at google earth to find areas along the bayside. So long as you pick up all of your trash (and then some) and don't start a fire I doubt anyone even cares/knows you're there. We'll often fish all day without seeing more than a few boats.
                    More or less that's how it's done; I've done it a more than a few times myself - planning another one for Memorial Day weekend this year.

If an area is off-limits to camping, fires, etc. it is usually marked with signs. There are a couple that come to mind in VA (state nature preserves), but plenty of other islands nearby to camp on instead.

Give it a try, it's fun! I tend to avoid setting up near shrubs and any upland woods the island may have though. They tend to harbor lots of biting flies and insects Best to stay on the sandy beaches.

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
                    I have avoided the bayside spots because of this.. and I believe you have more of a fighting chance on the ocean side in those conditions.
                    Ocean side really isn't much better at avoiding biting insects, but any sustained wind off the water (E, SE, NE) sure helps make it more pleasurable.
                    Brian

Comment

This might help.
                      http://www.baydreaming.com/chesapeak...ke-bay-region/

Something like BayShore Campground in Rock Hall might work, but I'm certain you would need to call ahead and make your reservation.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
                        I'm wondering whether there are legal places on the Chesapeake to pitch a tent for a night. How does a guy know where he can legally cam and where not? Does a map of some kind exist? Is this a good idea or just crazy talk?
                        Also, you won't find too much in the way of printed rules and regs on the Eastern Shore. That's simply not the way things work on most areas of the peninsula. Many of these places are lost in time so to speak and do not operate like the more populated metro areas of the western shore. It's a handful of old waterman that populate much of the shore. Be kind, courteous, clean up your/others trash and leave your vehicle at a public launch and you'll be just fine.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X