Hello from Piney Orchard (Odenton)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Piney Orchard (Odenton)

Howdy! Long time fisherman looking to get into kayak-fishing. I know nothing about it other than it looks REALLY FUN. Looking forward to my first trip. Before that, I have a few questions:
    • Can I rent a well equipped kayak anywhere?
    • What should I look for in a kayak if I want stability. Beam?
    • Love to fish at sunrise, where's a good spot?
    • Does standard pole selection still apply or do you want to go with heavier poles for muscling in the fish?
    • Can I bow-fish from one? If so, what types of regulations do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to getting started.

Ken

Ken,

•Can I rent a well equipped kayak anywhere? I don't know of any place that rents kayaks set up specifically for fishing. There are rentals available on weekends for recreational paddling at Jonas Green. There are local and out-of-state kayak guides and they have boats rigged to fish and are ready to show you the ropes.

•What should I look for in a kayak if I want stability. Beam? There are plenty of models with wide beams. Just remember in kayaking (as in most endeavors) there are trade-offs. Wide beams generally mean heavier, slower boats that take more effort to paddle or pedal than sleeker boats. But indeed they are more stable. Just a personal aside, I think those not familiar with kayaks worry too much about stability. That's a common question at the Bass pro kayak seminars I've attended. All boats can tip. I saw two folks flip a rowboat in the Severn last year. But if you are cautious and prudent, that should be a rare occurrence in a kayak.

•Love to fish at sunrise, where's a good spot? Many ramps and public access points around the Bay allow sunrise or even earlier launches.

•Does standard pole selection still apply or do you want to go with heavier poles for muscling in the fish? Most of us fish with light tackle. Generally, what's good for LM bass will suffice in a kayak for most of the fishing we do.

•Can I bow-fish from one? If so, what types of regulations do I need to consider? Got me there. I do not know.

Welcome to the forum.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome aboard Ken.

One place I would recommend for a first time out in a kayak is Mattawoman Creek, Indian Head, MD. Most of it is fairly shallow. Lots of aquatic grasses framing the channels. And a nice variety of fish (LMB, shad/herring, yellow & white perch, striper, blue catfish, channel catfish, & snakehead).
      There's a free hard ramp at Mattingly Park and soft launch at the intersection of MD Rt 224 & MD Route 225.

Mike Jones runs Up The Creek Rentals at the Mattingly Park access point with kayaks and canoes to rent.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Suggest .you get in touch with Chris Dollar on Kent Island. He guides kayak fishing trips and rents canfishing kayaks. He writes the fishing column for the Evening Capital. Can't recall the name his of business. Maybe someone on this board can help.

Comment

Thanks all! Really appreciate it. Cant wait to get out there and give it a go. Been looking to get on the water more and this looks like the ticket. I used to row with the Kent Island Outrigger Canoe Club. The amount of fish we used to spook had me wishing I had a pole with me. I always wanted to fish those waters. Thanks again.

Comment

Think I found Chris Dollar's website. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X