Piney Point & St Mary's Lake 4-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point & St Mary's Lake 4-29

Woke up this morning and said I was going to try for a stripper today with the beautiful weather and most importantly low winds. Probably should have paid attention to the local paper front page which said rocks were hard to come by for the charter boats in the lower Potomac and bay. Undeterred I went out anyways. Headed out to the main channel drop off, which is a good mile or so from the put in. Trolled along it for a couple of miles with no luck, although I was marking bait fish. Headed into a secondary rise that goes from 8 down to 13 feet and again marking lots of bait but no bites. Trolled back along the rip rap on St Georges Island and marked nothing. I did get one small tug near the bridge but the boat was unslimed. When leaving Piney Point you almost run into St Mary's Lake so I decided to stop in for a couple of hours. Caught this beautiful pickerel along with some bass, crappie and another nice pickerel. Probably should have spent my day there. My go to lure is a simple 4" grub on a lead head. Not very trendy, but boy does it catch fish..002.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

That's a fat pickerel.

Nice catch!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Piney Point & St Mary's Lake 4-29

Nice. Never caught a pickerel. I live in Waldorf and haven't made it at Mary's lake yet. I really need to go somewhere other than the Potomac. Expand my species. Thanks for the post. Good luck finding some "strippers" out there. When you do, post some pics! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

I tried $1 as a trailer for a while. Perhaps something bigger like a $5 would have worked. I guarantee pictures if I do hook a big one.

St Mary's is an interesting lake with lots of varied habitat to fish, from lily pads to deep water trees. If you have pedal drive be aware that there are many hidden standing trees lurking just inches under the water that will bend your flippers. Where you see trees standing assume that there are hidden trees in a 100 yard radius from them. Most of my pickerel come from the head of the lake up in the grass fields and at the entrance to the very large arm of the lake down near the dam. I don't fish for them intentionally, they just hit bass lures.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
        X