May M&G Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May M&G Planning

I volunteered to host the May M&G this year and the plan is to fish the Roosevelt Inlet Area. The second weekend of the month in May happens to be Mother's day and I need to be down in SW Virginia to celebrate and attend my nephew's baptism. I am sure other's may have similar conflicts with wives/mothers. The next weekend is the Jamaica Bay tournament and I know many from this site are planning to attend.

What do you all want to do? Can we move it back to the weekend after Jamaica Bay which would be May 23rd?

Planning for fishing Roosevelt Inlet:

First off, the nicer the weather the rougher the inlet gets with boat traffic. Depending on the size of our group it may make sense to relocate the event to to Cape Henlopen State Park. Otherwise, the mouth of the inlet is a good place to find founder but can definitely be dangerous with the current and boat traffic. There are plenty of fish inside the canal so know your limits and be safe!

If we stay in the inlet/canal area then here's some fishing tips / gear advice:

- The canal and inlet are fairly shallow, less than 20ft but the current can be swift at times.
    - Bucktails + gulp, top/bottom rigs with minnows and/or squid, and live minnows are the way to go.
    - Flounder and croaker should be around but there is also a chance at specks/weakfish/striper/dogfish.
    - Either direction in the canal can yield results.
    - I find the incoming to be a better tide, but as long as it is moving the fish should bite.
    - Founder are not big fighters and large mouth bass gear is sufficient.
    - I like to use a baitcaster on a M to MH bass rod and bounce bucktails on the bottom.

Proposed Lunch: Striper Bites Bistro - http://www.yelp.com/menu/striper-bites-bistro-lewes

I have never been but it is hard to find a place that takes reservations and the reviews are good.

Address to Roosevelt Inlet:

999 Pilottown Rd
    Lewes, DE 19958
    May 9th (Need ALT Host)
    14.29%
    May 16th (Needs ALT Host)
    14.29%
    May 23th (I can host)
    71.43%
    Last edited by Redfish12; 04-26-2015, 10:09 AM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Keep in mind May 23rd is Memorial day weekend so there might be a lot of boat traffic.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

What is the criteria for "hosting"......does that mean you supply the beer for the post fishing party? Or the store bought fish in case we are skunked? Also, what does "sticky" mean on these forums?
      Joe
      Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by nw2yak'n View Post
        What is the criteria for "hosting"......does that mean you supply the beer for the post fishing party? Or the store bought fish in case we are skunked? Also, what does "sticky" mean on these forums?
        Every January there is a meeting where someone volunteers to host each months "official" meet and greet. (usually the 2nd Saturday of the month) they just provide experience fishing a certain location and organize somewhere to eat lunch after fishing in the morning.

"sticky" means the post always stays at the top of the post list for easy reference rather than moving down the list as new posts are made. Stickys are set by the site moderators and are reserved for important posts.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Well crap, if the 23rd is Memorial Day then we probably don't want to be in the inlet that weekend!!

Does someone else want to host? Host = putting this thread together, providing the location details, answering questions, and setting up lunch.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X