No announcement yet.

Kayak storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was inspired by this post and after a short trip to home depot i made this:

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Very nice pinch.

See another fine example of the many possibilities of PVC.

Comment

I just picked up a hobie outback and looking for the best way to store it.
        I would love to be able to store right side up, especially while I work on getting it rigged up.

Would it be ok to store right side up with a pvc stand with the web strapping across to support the hull? I figure if I have enough sag in the straps, it would support the entire hull including the sides.

I was also thinking of something with the large round pool noodles running along the channels underneath. It seams pretty strong there and no weight would be on the center portion or outside areas of the hull.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Pro Angler Storage: I bought the cradles from Hobie and mounted them on 4x4 post under my deck at the recommended spacing and it works great. Using for 2 yrs now no problems. Just slide the kayak on and off.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have two to store- the Outback is the widest so I think I will make the rack that allows two to be stored in one rack- I have the garage hoist system that allows you to store the Kayak in the overhead by hoisting it up- I use my Daughter's old plastic toy wagon as my rigging setup- I use a cradle i made that sits down inside the wagon to make it solid and hold the yak secure- that way I can pull the yak around and since it is on wheels it is easy to move
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
              I just picked up a hobie outback and looking for the best way to store it.
              I would love to be able to store right side up, especially while I work on getting it rigged up.

Would it be ok to store right side up with a pvc stand with the web strapping across to support the hull? I figure if I have enough sag in the straps, it would support the entire hull including the sides.

I was also thinking of something with the large round pool noodles running along the channels underneath. It seams pretty strong there and no weight would be on the center portion or outside areas of the hull.
              CAGE RATTLER,

I was going to go the pvc route but I had a bunch of boards left over from an old project so I went with wood. I too wanted the kayak to sit right side up so I could work on it but I also wanted it to lay on its side to take the weight off of the hull. I came up with a pivoting solution. The wood also allowed me to easily attach wheels to it and add a storage shelf for gear.

<MIKE>
              Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
              Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

That is one nice looking setup!
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That is sweet Mike. Let me know when you get bored, one of those would look great in my garage.
                  Don
                  2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                  2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice work on the cart Mike!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Wow! That is awesome.
                      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. My dad taught me everything I know about working in the garage. He also helped me get into Kayak Fishing when he gave me the OK13 for my birthday this year. I've been reading this forum ever since trying to learn as much as I can. Everyone here has great ideas, reports, and tips.
                        <MIKE>
                        Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                        Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Hey thanks Mike, now I can look at the stuff I have built and realy feel bad about it. Nice work, that is one fine rack.
                          Jim

Hobie Outback
                          TKAA member
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

That's a very nice setup.

I might try to make something similar with pvc.
                            I have a boat load of 2" tubing and elbows & T's.

I also have some melamine I could use for shelving.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

4 small pulleys, 1 double pulley, 3 ceiling hooks, 1 rope cleat and 50" rope and 2 straps for the yak. Pull all of them to the ceiling
                              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                              X