Transducer/FF Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transducer/FF Compatability

I have an older Furuno that I'm thinking of replacing with something with a GPS. My question is whether or not the current transducer I have installed will limit the functions of another unit. I know I can buy brand specific plugs to wire the transducer to another brand FF, but will the frequency limit the functions of the newer units. My transducer is 50/200 kHz, and the new FF I'm looking at also runs on 50/200, but in addition also 455/800 kHz for down imaging. I'm guessing that if I use my transducer with this unit I will only get the 50/200 function, thus rendering the down imaging useless. Is this correct?
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Correct. The down imaging function will not work.
    Also if the old unit didn't have a temp sensor you won't get that feature either. You can tell if the old one has a temp sensor by looking for the little metal circle on the transducer.

I would upgrade the transducer also and put the old set up on Craigslist, eBay, or a Facebook yard sale page.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

But I really like my flush mount transducer

Guess I need to decide if down imagining is really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Then I would contact the mfg and see if they will swap the standard 'ducer that came with the head unit for a flush mount model. You might have to pay the difference.

Comment

I cannot find any transducer, let alone a flush mount, that will handle 50/200 AND 455/800. It appears to me you have to buy two transducers to get the full function of the FF, but that does not seem right. Surely they have it packaged into one unit. I guess I could buy the 455/800 transducer to supplement my current one, but that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish. Can anybody verify that their transducer handles all four frequencies?

Also, what is the difference between CHIRP/DSI and HDI/DSI combinations. Is one combination better than the other, they cost the same?
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Which FF are you installing?

Comment

Don't know yet, but ideally the Lowrance Mark 4 series, either the HDI, CHIRP, or Elite.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I see what you mean. That's a bitch.
                Well, my ideas are all dried up. I run a Humminbird without DI.

I guess one needs an extra ducer just for the DI.

Comment

HDI does traditional sonar and down imaging. CHIRP does down imaging and the traditional sonar is "enhanced" with the CHIRP. The Mark units are black and white, Elite are color.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Buy a unit that comes with a transducer, that way you get all features with full functions.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Buy a unit that comes with a transducer, that way you get all features with full functions.
                      So they only sell full function transducers when you buy it as a package, that doesn't make sense.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

No, but the units can be purchased without a transducer, cheaper than one with a transducer included. It doesn't make sense (to me) to use a transducer that does not have the capability to use all functions of a new unit. A unit with transducer included will ensure you get all functions listed on the package.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

the more research I've done it seems that the common boat setup has the 50/200 transducer setup thru hull or at the back of the boat, and the 455/800 transducer on the trolling motor. So yes, you do need two transducers to get the full function of those units. I wonder how many people have both on their kayak?
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Negative, it is one transducer that does all frequencies.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Support/Transducers/

not according to this web page
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X