Wye Mills Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye Mills Lake

A subset of the OGWLF crowd will be heading to Wye Mills Lake tomorrow, 23 April.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/P.../wyemills.aspx

We’ll be launching between 0800 and 0830.

Please join us if you can.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

We knew the winds on the Bay would be prohibitive today so Hugo, J. Rentch, Raptor and I visited Wye Mills Lake.

B.jpg A.jpg C.jpg

We had the entire 50 acres to ourselves, except for these turtles. It seemed like every log was a turtle perch.

D.jpg G.jpg

Only the strong wind gusts prevented us from effectively fishing the entire lake. But each of us caught fish and I suspect altogether we boated between 35 and 40 fish. They included LM Bass, Crappie and a single Bluegill.

I was low man with 3 bass, 3 crappies, and 1 bluegill. The other guys had double digit catches or close to it.

It was pretty clear that the bass and bluegills had not yet ventured to the shallow end of the lake to spawn where it flattens out to 1 to 2 feet. I worked it hard with these surface flies but couldn’t get anything to rise.

L.jpg

Most of the fish we caught were hanging near the shoreline and close to 4 and 5 feet of water. Each of these worked for me:

K.jpg

Hugo got this real nice crappie:

H.jpg

I got this bass on my last cast of the day near the launch.

J.jpg

So if you want some pullage a windy day but don’t want to chance getting swamped by whitecaps on the Bay, give the Eastern Shore ponds a try. I think after a few warm days they will be ready for top action.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-23-2015, 06:30 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Comment

I want to echo Mark's comments, really nice place for some freshwater pullage. Heard a Bald Eagle in one of the coves. A pleasant trip,from Annapolis
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Great work fellows -- you all had a productive day. I stopped there a few weeks ago after getting skunked at Tuckahoe Creek and Tuckahoe Lake. I caught one small bass to keep the skunk away that day.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report, looks like a beautiful pond! That's a nice bass and a good way to end the day.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            We knew the winds on the Bay would be prohibitive today so Hugo, J. Rentch, Raptor and I visited Wye Mills Lake.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15383[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15384[/ATTACH]

We had the entire 50 acres to ourselves, except for these turtles. It seemed like every log was a turtle perch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15385[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15386[/ATTACH]

Only the strong wind gusts prevented us from effectively fishing the entire lake. But each of us caught fish and I suspect altogether we boated between 35 and 40 fish. They included LM Bass, Crappie and a single Bluegill.

I was low man with 3 bass, 3 crappies, and 1 bluegill. The other guys had double digit catches or close to it.

It was pretty clear that the bass and bluegills had not yet ventured to the shallow end of the lake to spawn where it flattens out to 1 to 2 feet. I worked it hard with these surface flies but couldn’t get anything to rise.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15387[/ATTACH]

Most of the fish we caught were hanging near the shoreline and close to 4 and 5 feet of water. Each of these worked for me:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15388[/ATTACH]

Hugo got this real nice crappie:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15389[/ATTACH]

I got this bass on my last cast of the day near the launch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15382[/ATTACH]

So if you want some pullage a windy day but don’t want to chance getting swamped by whitecaps on the Bay, give the Eastern Shore ponds a try. I think after a few warm days they will be ready for top action.

Mark,

Thanks I had a ball as usual. Pretty much used up the whole day - as you said "time flies when you are having fun."

T.
            Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Terry,

Kudos to Bignose too. Even though he wasn't there his spinners fed you a steady stream of bass.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Does big nose make his own spinners

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
                  Does big nose make his own spinners

Kdkilbo,

He does - and they are awesome. You can catch most anything on them . . . but they are especially good for perch. If there is a perch within 100 yards he'll nail it. That's only a slight exaggeration. Stu felt sorry for me as I was whining that John Veil was giving me a fishing clinic one day that we were perch fishing. He sent me a few of his little gems. Nice - very nice. I can almost keep up now! I think they were effective in the pond because the water is stained tea color from the Cypress trees, I believe the thumping spinner really attracts the fish that would ordinarily not be aware because they can't see very far in the stained water - just my theory.

T.
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

How can I contact big nose

Comment

Send him a private message on Snaggedline.
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

His name on here is bignose or big nose

Comment

Kdkilbo,

bignose one word. His real name His real name is Stu. Super nice guy, but very, very busy. Hopefully, he has time to make a few spinners to sell you - they really are gems. They are similar to Woody's spinners, if you are familiar with them, except he doesn't use feathers. I think Stu's spinners hold up a little better and frankly I think they work a little better too. He usually has a table at the January flea market. Chartreuse is the color of choice for me.

T.
                          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Working...
                          X