For the rod builders out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the rod builders out there

My Scotty rod holder deceided to take a bite out of my Loomis Greenwater rod yesterday (see photos). I assume replacing the cork will be pretty straight forward but just wanted some input/advice. What all will I need to do?. What is a good source for a new quality cork and any other supplies I might need to fix it? Thanks!IMG_20150420_053524.jpgIMG_20150420_053535.jpg

2015 Viking Profish Reload

You're probably gonna wanna either call St croix or take it to a shop and a qualified rod builder who can give you some options. I was faced with a very similar situation this winter with an avid inshore and once st croix gave me the runaround (send it in and then we'll tell you if it's covered under warranty and by the way it may take 6-8 weeks for us to even look at it) and the rod builder told me the price of all new portuguese cork or whatever I went with epoxy and some tennis racket tape!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

It's not hard to do. First you have to take off the damaged cork. I would tape the good cork. You want to cut off the cork equal to an even number of cork rings. Then you have to ream each ring to fit the blank diameter at that spot. Now split each ring and place it around the blank at the right place to make sure it fits. Now that everything fits epoxy each ring to the blank and each other and clamp with hose clamps or zip ties to hold in place until dry ........ Cork rings are between $1 and $3 per 1/2 in ring. Probably cost between $20 - $30 labor plus rings ........ Looks like 4 rings and the rings are not the expensive ones
      Last edited by Memory Maker; 04-20-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Send it back to Loomis?
        Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
        Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

If you wanted, i charge 20$ to replace cork plus the cost of the cork. Or we can look into a more durable replacement grip to use on the rod.
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
            Send it back to Loomis?
            Pretty sure they charge a blanket $100 for repair

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
              If you wanted, i charge 20$ to replace cork plus the cost of the cork. Or we can look into a more durable replacement grip to use on the rod.
              When you say a more durable grip what did you have in mind? I'd definitely be interested in getting it replaced. Where are you located I prefer not to have to ship it. Also I'm guessing it's fine to use it in the meantime. I'd hate to be without it during prime fishing time.

Comment

Its fine to use as is for now, as long as you dont fracture the carbon under neathe. Im located in glen burnie area. As far as a more durable grip.. They have eva foam, some rubber grip wraps, and rubberized cork. The ruberiezed cork can get expensive, the eva foam is the cheapest and lightest. And to do the grip wrap, i would just replace a section of cork that has been tore off and put the grip wrap over it to keep a clean slim lined look.
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                X