No announcement yet.

Here's another beauty :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I am dying. Between work and weather, I have not been able to get out. Good job Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      Man, I am dying. Between work and weather, I have not been able to get out. Good job Alan.
      The weather has been awful man. If it's not storming, it's blowing. There's been just a couple fishable days in the last few weeks.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        Look at how many people have hit Beverly Triton and Ft Smallwood lately for small fish. It was relatively unknown until last year. Look at Calvert Cliffs this year, it was a circus because of the public postings. Now imagine what happens on a public forum for big fish. It is a real problem that I've seen first hand a lot of times. So for smaller fish, it's no big deal because they're everywhere but big fish are only certain places and they can get really clogged up. That's why folks keep it close to the vest, large in part to the amount of time it takes to put the puzzle together. So it's not to be rude, just how the internet goes. Also, no matter what you choice to do, someone won't agree with you.

I've given enough information to help figure out how to catch big fish Depth and lure. Now just apply it in the right situation.
        Alan,

I agree in principle, but there were only about 8 people fishing in the morning at Beverly Triton on opening season. I'm not really seeing the mass exodus to that spot.

Again, I wouldn't want anyone to burn spots. Personally, saying a big fish caught on the Severn, Patapsco, Bloody Pt doesn't give anything away. Like you said, it's a personal preference. And yes, you have certainly shown some of us the path to catching fish =)

Take care and keep the big fish coming!

Comment

What Sparky said, I think I know that tree line as well. Not too many places I know of this time of year that produces that size fish.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Guys, the location doesn't really matter as much as the depth and structure and nearby features. Check out a location that you know to fit the bill and you could have the same luck
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
              Don't expect Alan to give up his spots. An experienced team of interrogators subjecting the man to waterboarding or other torture methods wouldn't get anything out of him either....if he did tell you on a public forum like this, a flotilla of power boats would beat you there and burn the spot anyway. Do your research and you'll figure out where they are.

That fish in the picture is the tip of the iceberg
              Interesting idea John - "waterboarding or other torture" Alan will you be at CBKA this year? jk.... nice fish buddy...

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                Interesting idea John - "waterboarding or other torture" Alan will you be at CBKA this year? jk.... nice fish buddy...
                Yup, I'll see you guys at CBKA again this year. It was a blast. I'd go an not even care if I fished.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
                  Alan,

I agree in principle, but there were only about 8 people fishing in the morning at Beverly Triton on opening season. I'm not really seeing the mass exodus to that spot.

Again, I wouldn't want anyone to burn spots. Personally, saying a big fish caught on the Severn, Patapsco, Bloody Pt doesn't give anything away. Like you said, it's a personal preference. And yes, you have certainly shown some of us the path to catching fish =)

Take care and keep the big fish coming!
                  One of the things that's drawn me to the kayak fishing community has been its general sense of camaraderie and relative transparency. Whether it be on a public message board or in person, I've found that kayak fisherman are generally much more willing to give specific location tips (in addition to lure choice, water depth, weather, time-of-day, etc...). I measure that sense of openness against the bass fishing community I grew up with as a child of the south (North Carolina), where spot locations were seemingly guarded with as much secrecy and vigor as the recipe for Coca-Cola. I posted a large Beverly Triton striper post here on the Wednesday before opening day, then had second thoughts about what type of crowds that may lure in on our planned opening day trip back to the same place. However as cryptotek pointed out, much to our surprise there wasn't nearly as big of an opening-day crowd at Beverly as expected.

Ultimately I'd like to see our kayak community continue to be mostly about openness and sharing (with an obvious respect and understanding to those that choose to keep their hard-earned spots more secretive). That openness has caused me to find FAR MORE great spots to try out than I would have ever had the time to discover on my own. It's also meant that I often have trouble picking from all those great spots on any given Saturday morning (and I think we can all agree that's a GREAT problem to have).

I'll also add that while C&R is my usual, I do feel compelled to ONLY practice C&R on those spots that I had a bit of help from others in finding.
                  Last edited by dinscore; 04-22-2015, 03:41 PM.
                  ========================
                  Hobie Pro Angler 14
                  Hobie Outback
                  Hobie Mirage i11s
                  Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
                  Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
                  Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

meh, caught bigger in MD electric reservoirs from canoe.

did you use a teaser hook on your lure?

(I like to troll too)

Comment

Originally posted by dinscore View Post
                      One of the things that's drawn me to the kayak fishing community has been its general sense of camaraderie and relative transparency. Whether it be on a public message board or in person, I've found that kayak fisherman are generally much more willing to give specific location tips (in addition to lure choice, water depth, weather, time-of-day, etc...). I measure that sense of openness against the bass fishing community I grew up with as a child of the south (North Carolina), where spot locations were seemingly guarded with as much secrecy and vigor as the recipe for Coca-Cola. I posted a large Beverly Triton striper post here on the Wednesday before opening day, then had second thoughts about what type of crowds that may lure in on our planned opening day trip back to there. However as cryptotek pointed out, much to our surprise there wasn't nearly as big of an opening-day crowd there as expected.

Ultimately I'd like to see our kayak community continue to be mostly about openness and sharing (with an obvious respect and understanding to those that choose to keep their hard-earned spots more secretive). That openness has caused me to find FAR MORE great spots to try out than I would have ever had the time to discover on my own. It's also meant that I often have trouble picking from all those great spots on any given Saturday morning (and I think we can all agree that's a GREAT problem to have).

I'll also add that while C&R is my usual, I do feel compelled to ONLY practice C&R on those spots that I had a bit of help from others in finding.
                      Dinscore,

I echo that sentiment completely. I think you framed it as I intended. The members on this site, especially Alan, are the reason why I didn't have to spend countless hours figuring out what someone already had. This is specifically why I pay it forward and give detailed fishing reports.

For those guys that spend countless hours on the water figuring it out for themselves, I 100% understand and can empathize with wanting to protect what you've earned. There's nothing wrong with it. The rest of us are grateful for any information shared.

Regards,
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
                        Dinscore,

I echo that sentiment completely. I think you framed it as I intended. The members on this site, especially Alan, are the reason why I didn't have to spend countless hours figuring out what someone already had. This is specifically why I pay it forward and give detailed fishing reports.

For those guys that spend countless hours on the water figuring it out for themselves, I 100% understand and can empathize with wanting to protect what you've earned. There's nothing wrong with it. The rest of us are grateful for any information shared.

Regards,
                        Steve

It's kind of funny because others have scolded me for sharing too much, so now I'm in purgatory :-)

I 100% believe in the camaraderie of the sport and what we are all about, amen to that. I want everyone to get out there and get a fish on the line because we're all better off for it. You guys know I share a ton and have no issue until I am fishing areas where just one other person there may foul it up for me unfortunately...certainly a half dozen others would be a huge issue. I have been fishing those kinds of places....like the other day I was trolling a small spot, someone saw me catching fish, got off his spot, and then anchored right where I'm fishing. I had to move because of the style I fish and fortunately I found even bigger ones later. Or like the day before that, I had back to back 40 inchers before 10 boats showed up and then nothing. That's the apprehension and it's real...it happened a few months ago when I took someone to a very specific spot and he posted about it. After no one being there but me, the next day I went and there were already 2 kayakers on it and later another 3 showed up and a boat....not one of us caught a fish after that. So just understand I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to enjoy what I've spent an unreasonable amount of time to discover.
                        It's all give and take too. You guys that fish with me and meet up know that I am pretty much an open book as long as it's reciprocal.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Alan, keep sharing as much as you're comfortable with. It's all appreciated. The reasons you gave for not sharing locations make perfect sense (especially given your increased high-visibility within the sport). I'll add that I have a Super Shad Rap on order to troll with for next year, and that purchase was based on what you've previously shared here and on facebook. I also plan to venture out into deeper water next year given the depth info you've mentioned. Both of those are great additions to the collective knowledge here, and don't get over into map location specifics.

And lastly, you have my word that anything caught on that Shad Rap will be promptly released.
                          ========================
                          Hobie Pro Angler 14
                          Hobie Outback
                          Hobie Mirage i11s
                          Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
                          Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
                          Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

You've shared more than your fair share in your book, Alan! Your beyond purgatory!

Comment

fish 3.jpgfish 2.jpg

Here's two more from this past weekend, like the first pic. One was caught in 12' on the shad rap the other was in very shallow water, 3-5' on an x rap.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Great job man!
                                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                                Crappie: 12 inches
                                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
                                X