Go to paddle tails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go to paddle tails?

I see a lot of references to folks trolling 4"+ paddle tail shad with interest in pearl white, etc. Was wondering if anyone can give me some more specific brand/model recommendations as to what has worked for you. Thanks, Mark

You can't go wrong with Storm Shads. They come pre-rigged, just remember to take the plastic tube off the hook shank.
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Bass assassin Sea Shad is by far my best producing soft plastic....even better than gulp. Come in 3 lengths... several pearl based patterns
      Last edited by kevinfry; 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Excalibur View Post
        I see a lot of references to folks trolling 4"+ paddle tail shad with interest in pearl white, etc. Was wondering if anyone can give me some more specific brand/model recommendations as to what has worked for you. Thanks, Mark
        Berkley Ripple Shad.

Comment

Zman 10x "Opening Night"

Comment

Been using the berkley havoc grass pigs as trailers on spinnerbaits. They have great action and are dirt cheap.
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

+1 on the Berkeley ripple shad for rockfish. I've caught more species on them than any other bait: snakehead, bass, flounder, speckled trout, blues - you name it.
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I use paddletails for most of the year. In the spring I have better luck with a 4.5" to 5" paddletail. Last year I used primarily the Bass Pro Saltwater Sally in pearl white, chartreuse, or electric chicken -- all caught. My most productive all round paddletail throughout the year for trolling and cast and retrieve is the 3" 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet. These are not available locally, but can be ordered online from 12 Fathom lure company.

I often put a 4" -5" Storm Shad in my spread but have not caught much on that lure during the past two years. I continue to run one because it can attract large stripers. I even caught a big carp by trolling a Storm Shad on the Susquehanna flats several years ago.

The Z-man lures mentioned above are made of a plastic compound that is more resistant to bluefish biteoffs that most other brands. Once the blues show up in mid-summer, many switch over to those.

There are plenty of brands that will work fine. Find something you like at a price you can afford and try it out.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You will actually feel the thumping vibration of a good paddle tail through your line as your jig moves through the water.

My guess is that if I can feel it so can the fish.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X