No announcement yet.

Paddle Pedal or Other? How do you move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paddle, love the purity of the paddle. That being said, just mounted a 403 ultralight. You only need a few bad experiences with unpredicted head winds to make this decision. Will I use the motor for trolling, honestly I really cant say at this time. Of course I have not been on the water yet this year, hoping for some time this coming weekend on the flats.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I am a convert to the pedal power. Used to paddle quite a bit and caught plenty of fish trolling that way as well.

Comment

Either paddle or go electric. But then I'm a canoe guy... that's just a kayak without a top.

canoe-trolling motor.jpg
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Pedals. I can still go out in conditions that I wouldn't paddle in on the bay with the Hobie. Lots of folks do well with the paddles too.
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

I have an Ocean Kayak Torque. Motor is flush mounted in a recess in the tank well. And the battery is stored in the center console right in front of the built-in variable speed motor controller. The best part of the configuration is that the battery position creates a nice ballast making the Torque even less prone to turtling.

I also have a hollow plastic skeg to insert in place of the motor in case you want to leave the motor and battery at home and paddle it like a Trident 13... (or if you happen to forget to renew your registration... d'Oh!)
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I'm a peddle guy that also has electric motor power on a Hobie PA 12. Usually only use the motor to get to and from fishing grounds. Peddles to actively fish.

Comment

Here is a funny photo (relevant to this discussion) I found on another kayak fishing site.

rob lowe.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X