No announcement yet.

Paddle Pedal or Other? How do you move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle Pedal or Other? How do you move?

with trolling season in full swing I was wondering how everyone trolls along.
    paddle
    31.67%
    pedal
    51.67%
    other (motor, sail, ect)
    16.67%
    Brian
    White Marsh MD
    Tan Ascend fs12t

I'm lazy...I use a motor. I have a slight twinge of guilt every now and again, but it passes.

Comment

Pedal power!
      Last edited by Cowpokey; 04-19-2015, 01:48 PM.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

im in a hobie at the moment but i dont think it will be long until im in a predator XL
        Zach Moore
        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I decided on a paddle kayak with a trolling motor since I like to use the kayak in the traditional sense for exercise, but can have hands free trolling while fishing.

Also, my used Trident 13 and brand new 40lb thrust saltwater motor only combined for $1250. Can't beat it.

Comment

I bought a Predator 13 and added the motor mount and a motor to the side. By the time it was all said and done, I might as well paid up and bought the predator XL with the motor mount in the middle of the kayak with the option of peddles if I ever wanted to go that way. I love my predator 13, but the XL is probably the way to go. Not sure if they were fully available yet last year when I bought my 13, but even if they were there would have been a special order and wait time I'm sure. I was able to demo my Predator 13 before I bought and fell in love with it immediately.

Comment

I pedal but I don't troll. That would make an interesting poll, primary method of fishing from a kayak: trolling, casting, fly, bait etc.
              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

you guys with motors have any pics of your setups
                Brian
                White Marsh MD
                Tan Ascend fs12t

Comment

I pedal and troll
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Here's a picture from the front of my Old Town Predator...doesn't show the battery, but its behind the seat.
                    kayak.jpg

Comment

hey thanks yak. that's kinda what I was thinking just wasn't sure how well it would work.
                      I might just give that a try.
                      Brian
                      White Marsh MD
                      Tan Ascend fs12t

Comment

I use a Hobie Revo for saltwater in the bay and LI Sound. I have a Kaskazi Dorado II for the ocean or when I'm covering a lot of water. My freshwater kayak is an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. I prefer to paddle, but enjoy the benefits of the Hobie for hands free fishing and holding a position in current. For that, I've found the Hobie to be unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by imgonnayak View Post
                          hey thanks yak. that's kinda what I was thinking just wasn't sure how well it would work.
                          I might just give that a try.
                          Be careful with weight in the rear. My FS12T couldnt handle a 50ah battery and motor. Rear compartment would flood via the scuppers. I believe it was a 2014 model, or at least that's the year I purchased new from Bass pro. You may want to throw 40lbs or so in the rear to test.

Comment

Paddle/ Troll. Recently 8-10 miles per outing to maintain 2-3MPH and feel every bit of it by the time I'm back on shore. Saturday's haul was (3) 15-16" , (1) 22", and (1) 34". 6:30-11AM and all caught in 7-13' depth. Soft plastics (paddle and twister pearl) on 1/2oz jig heads. I'll try to remember to bring along cellphone for picture's next time! Hope others enjoyed similar success this weekend. Killed me that I was shut out Sunday due to wind.

Comment

I paddle and use all the other methods troll, cast, jig and fly. My way of thinking the paddle gives more movement to the lure. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X