X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice fishing fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I use the leg, hand, and paddle technique; the waves still manage to bang my yak against the pilings

Wanted to get that stringer too, but couldn't decide on the size. So, you prefer the small one, Joe?
      My current one is the largest (16.5 - 17") from diversdirect,com at 19.99
      Amazon sells many different sizes. The reason I try to get smaller one (14") is that the big one won't go into my cooler. The 14" stringer (with fish will go into the cooler and I can close the lid. Also I think the 14" one can be stowed easily on the kayak.

You may wait for 10 days until I received the smaller stringer. I want to see construction, how study/strong the stringer is. The big one is very study for big fish.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        My current one is the largest (16.5 - 17") from diversdirect,com at 19.99
        Amazon sells many different sizes. The reason I try to get smaller one (14") is that the big one won't go into my cooler. The 14" stringer (with fish will go into the cooler and I can close the lid. Also I think the 14" one can be stowed easily on the kayak.

You may wait for 10 days until I received the smaller stringer. I want to see construction, how study/strong the stringer is. The big one is very study for big fish.

Joe
        I ordered the 14" with strap off amazon early this morning. Will arrive thursday. Hoping to use it this weekend. It was $20 shipped.

Comment

John,
          Let us know how strong the strap is. Also check if the stringer opens up with some stress. Michael once dropped a thirty something inch striper because his old small stringer opened up.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
            John,
            Let us know how strong the strap is. Also check if the stringer opens up with some stress. Michael once dropped a thirty something inch striper because his old small stringer opened up.

Joe
            I will let you know. It was the only one I could get before this weekend. They have a 16" without strap I believe for a couple dollars cheaper, but it was on shipment delay.

Comment

I've heard tog tastes somewhat like crab. In fact, some people say you can use tog to make "poor man's crab cake." So, my son asks my wife to try it; she did, for the first time.

She baked the fillets, broke it up, mixed it with ingredients (Old Bay, etc.), and then fried the patties. Mmmmm......good!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tufnik; 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Sounds good. I really like the prepackaged old bay crab cake mix for making crab cakes. I'm sure it would be good with tog too. You could also try making fish cakes the way we make them...mashed potatoes, egg, salt and pepper which is then pan fried (traditionally made with salt cod which is rinsed in boiling water to remove salt or soaked multiple times). Tog would be an excellent substitute I'm sure and less fishy tasting...the fish cakes made with salt cod can be a little strong fishy flavor, but I really enjoy them. I like my tog best pan fried in pan searing flour and find it to be hardly much different from any other mild white fish such as flounder, striper, drum.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-S...shing+stringer

I received the stringer and it is pretty nice. The one thing is it does not have a pointed tip for poking through the jaw of tog (I was hoping it would like others I saw online, but could not tell from pic). I am going to sharpen a pointed tip with my grinder before I leave for cbbt. The strap seems strong enough and is stitched together well. The plastic buck seems quite strong. The stringer does not seem like it would fail under normal use, it would take quite a load to bend it. I will try it this weekend hopefully and see how it does. Definitely a good investment for 20 bucks.

Comment

For anyone's future reference, this 15" one is pointed. https://www.austinkayak.com/products...-Stringer.html

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

That one at ack looks similar to Joe's just a little smaller maybe. I would have ordered that one if I did not need it right away. I wanted one for my trip this weekend and the one I got was the only one I could get with Amazon prime. I was hoping it was pointed.

Will be out at cbbt Sat and Sunday if anybody wants to come down for some tog. My friend is coming down from Richmond Sunday to join. Hoping to get some gopro footage this time, just need to remember to charge my batteries.

Comment

I just got that stringer from ack and it seems to be the best deal out there...that is if you order enough other items to get free shipping. It is very heavy duty and pointed tip. I ended up losing the one I got with the strap and clip last weekend when it was overloaded with blues. I also got the other one on amazon for $15.99 without strap yesterday...it is nice but not nearly as heavy duty as the one from ack...but it should be nice for flounder and smaller fish and seems like I can open it relatively easily with one hand, so it has its advantages--the one from ack pretty much requires two hands. The one from ack looks identical to Joe's big stringer and maybe Tufnik's but only 13 bucks. I think I will build an extreme heavy duty attachment from wire leader for my new stringer so I never lose another...thinking about several strands of double crimped sevlon leader twisted up and attached to large carabiners on each end.

Comment

I bought the one from ack. I like it. Thanks for the reco, reel-em-in.

My attachment tether is 1/4" rope with several overhand knots. Held four big blues last weekend.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                          X