2015 Hobie Outback - ST Turbo Fins and Sailing Rudder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Hobie Outback - ST Turbo Fins and Sailing Rudder question

I know that there's probably not much data on this yet but I'll give it a shot. I'm picking up my Outback tomorrow and can still save some money on accessories. I spend most of my time fishing out of Sandy Point, along the bridge pilings, around the rockpile and then up and down the channel to about the north end of the Magothy. This is my first peddle yak.

So, I'm wondering two things. One, should I go ahead and get the Sailing Rudder now and two, will the ST Turbo fins be a significant difference when fighting wind and currents. I know those are both subjective, so let me try this. Will the standard rudder allow me to corner around the bridge pilings fairly tightly or do I need to upgrade to the sailing rudder to do that? Then for the fins, will the new standard ST fins be enough to move me well through 10 mph winds going going in the direction of the current when I want to go the other way?

I hope that makes sense, I appreciate your thoughts.

The weather forecast is improving for Saturday, I hope it holds.

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
    I know that there's probably not much data on this yet but I'll give it a shot. I'm picking up my Outback tomorrow and can still save some money on accessories. I spend most of my time fishing out of Sandy Point, along the bridge pilings, around the rockpile and then up and down the channel to about the north end of the Magothy. This is my first peddle yak.

So, I'm wondering two things. One, should I go ahead and get the Sailing Rudder now and two, will the ST Turbo fins be a significant difference when fighting wind and currents. I know those are both subjective, so let me try this. Will the standard rudder allow me to corner around the bridge pilings fairly tightly or do I need to upgrade to the sailing rudder to do that? Then for the fins, will the new standard ST fins be enough to move me well through 10 mph winds going going in the direction of the current when I want to go the other way?

I hope that makes sense, I appreciate your thoughts.

The weather forecast is improving for Saturday, I hope it holds.
    The sailing rudder is a must have. In my opinion it's kind of ridiculous that it doesn't come with it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

My Revo is narrower than an Outback.

It glides easily with the Standard Fins into wind and fast current. I'm sure the Turbo Fins would make it fly. (If you want a real test of how it does in the current take your kayak under the Kent Narrows bridges!)

But I did upgrade to the sailing rudder and it makes positive difference in tracking and turning.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Rudder upgrade is worth it for sure. I tried Turbo fins for a short circle out on the bay, they did improve speed, but overkill for the way I fish. I have the old standard penguin wing fins, the ST fins are the "in between" from originals to turbos.

When I get a 2015, I'm going to upgrade the rudder but not the fins.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks all, rudder it is with Turbo's TBD. I appreciate the input.

Comment

I highly recommend the turbo fins. They make a significant difference. However, I've never ridden in the new outbacks so I can't make a comparison to the new standard fins but for the previously years, I wouldn't leave home without them.

Comment

Turbos and sailing rudder are must haves if fishing in heavy current and around pilings. The turbos are even better if you're making a long run. I have gone miles side by side with my buddy who refuses to get turbos and I swear he has to take 3-4 pedals for my 1.
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I dont have the hobie kayak but I just read some reviews on it at the hobie website. One complained that those sailing rudders won't work with 2015 models. Like I said, I know nothing about them but just double check before ordering.
                Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Im sorry it was at amazon.com here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Sailing-...l&pageNumber=1

He said the rudder wont work with 2015 mirage pro angler.
                  Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Donnie,
                    Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I'll be buying locally so I'm confident that if there's an issue it will be taken care of.

Comment

Pro anglers have a different rudder system than revos and outbacks
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                        Pro anglers have a different rudder system than revos and outbacks
                        and other Hobie kayaks with a "twist and stow" rudder system.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Sailing rudder is a must have. I just put my old one from the Revo and installed it on a 2015 outback. No issues and allows the outback to turn on a dime.

As for turbo fins, you can ask Tufnik if it's needed. He still has the ST's and just went to CBBT.

Comment

I tried the st fins when I first got the outback, though not at cbbt. They are not bad, much better than the old standard fins I'm sure. I had somebody out at cbbt last year with me who had the old standard fins on his outback...he could not keep up and gave up early. I am a lot heavier than Tufnik and I personally would not want to fish a place like cbbt without the turbos. Some days out there st fins are probably more than adequate but turbos will come in handy when the current is really ripping. If you like getting a really good workout while fishing or don't want to spend the extra money, I guess the st fins are good enough. Also, if you don't do much open water or fishing in current the turbo fins are not needed. As for the sailing rudder, I also think it should be standard on the outback.
                            Last edited by JohnE; 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I have the 2015 Pro Angler..with the Turbo fins...Just got back from Myrtle Beach..fished both north and south Carolina intercoastal...Sunset Beach....all worked wonderfully..for quicker turning and response pull up the skeg.....when traveling in the flats...and longer runs I drop the skeg..tracks better....no problems...If I could figure out how to get the pix off my cell to here..I would post....got into the specks.....in the rain....what fun!!!

dave

Comment

Working...
                              X