Modified approach to installing front rod holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified approach to installing front rod holder

I installed front rod holders on all three of my kayaks using the built-in gear tracks. I chose Scotty #438 gear track head adapters as base units.

004.jpg

For trolling from my Slayer Propel 10 and 13, I need to move the rod holders laterally, so I added an extender between the base and the rod holder.

005.jpg

For the past few years, I have used the same setup on both sides. The #438 base installs by twisting until the unit snugs up against the foot that sits in the track. I troll with the rods angled out at a 45 degree angle toward the front. If a fish hits the right rod, it tends to pull back on the rod, which rotates the rod holder clockwise and tightens the base. If I get a fish on the left side, however, the rods rotates in a counter-clockwise direction and loosens the base. The rod holder can swing around rapidly, potentially allowing the rod to come loose and fall in the water (yes -- it has happened to me before).

I looked around for an alternate way to hold the left side rod holder. I found some plastic slugs with built in nuts to fit into the gear track.

008.jpg

I was able to bolt a standard Scotty base unit #241 into two of the slugs. The bolts that came with the slugs were only 3/4" long -- these were not long enough to reach through the Scotty base and into the nuts on the slugs. I went to my local West Marine store and spent 15 mins looking at their stainless steel hardware. It turns out that the nut required closely spaced metric threads -- that store did not carry those bolts. I visited a second and larger West Marine store and was able to find the correct bolts in either 1" or 1.5" length. I used the 1.5" length to attach the Scotty base firmly to the gear track. This morning I trolled for rockfish and caught quite a few on the rod in the new rod holder. I am pleased with the performance so far.

006.jpg 007.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Clever solution, John.

Glad it worked well for you.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Seems like the extra width on the scotty base in your set up would add a nice little bit of extra support if you have heavy downward pressure (ie. monster fish) ...where are you finding the threaded slugs ?
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
        Seems like the extra width on the scotty base in your set up would add a nice little bit of extra support if you have heavy downward pressure (ie. monster fish) ...where are you finding the threaded slugs ?
        Those slugs are Native products, designed to fit the Native Groove (gear track). http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ry-System.html. Some of the local Native dealers may have them in stock too.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice job with the mount!

I bought some Might Mounts just in case I didn't like the Scotty track adapter. I haven't even tried the Might Mounts but your version looks much sleeker. The "proper" way to set up the Scotty base with the Mighty Mounts looks like it would make the whole mount about 6" long.
          Mike

Comment

I saw something similar in a magazine lately. May have been the latest CCA magazine. If I remember right, their solution picked up all four bolts in the base. I am not sure if it was aftermarket or fabricated but will look closer tonight.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Scotty base on mighty mounts is pretty long. 6" sounds about right. I have mine on 8" gt175 gear tracs and there is just barely enough room for a scotty gear head on the same track.

Comment

And the scotty mounted on the track with 2 studs looks like a good option if you have built in tracks. The gear head mounts are not really strong enough for rod holders...if you get snagged with drag set too tight or hook into a large fish, they will rip right out of your tracks. I will only use gear head mounts for other accesories, not for rods.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the lefthand rod holder....I had never considered the fact that the torque backwards on a fish strike on the left would cause the track head rod holder to loosen. Obvious when you think about it. Here is my setup I rigged up earlier this week after reading this.
                  rod-holder.jpg

Comment

Great idea John! I use the same bases... I'll have to adopt this too.
                    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Working...
                    X