Finally Got my '15 Outback, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got my '15 Outback, now what?

Hey guys. I have been on snaggedline for over a year now and have fished my Native in backwaters on the Eastern Shore. I just purchased my new Outback from backyard boats and want to know what i need next. I have read the "kayak trolling Bible" a few times so thanks Alan. I am open to any suggestions on FFs and rod holders and their placements. I guess my questions are: Should I upgrade fins?rudder? and Which cart? ff battery cases? I really value the opinions of a you guys on here. So thanks. (Also, I am already getting the deeper gear bucket the stock one is weak)

Tightlines,
    Tony

Tony,

Congratulations on your new boat.

I like Hobie's battery holder that fits nicely into the hatch. Here is a photo of mine in the back hatch of my Revo.

C.jpg

I believe your Outback has a hatch in the back. I never used my back hatch until I got a Fish Finder this year. I think the back hatch is a perfect place for the battery. Completely out of the way.

I also purchased a deeper gear bucket and I use that one for the hatch in the middle of the boat. I keep my license and first aid stuff in that one and few other things that I may need to access quickly.

Good luck with your new ride.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Upgrade to the sailing rudder
      Get a fish finder / GPS; I suggest a Lowrance Elite 4 or better
      -battery mount
      -7 amp hour battery
      Build a PVC rocket launcher
      Milk Crate with Plano boxes for tackle
      VHF marine radio
      Hobie HD scupper cart

Probably forgot a couple things, but most importantly: GET OUT AND FISH!
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

What type of fishing do you do mostly? My mods so far: turbo fins; sailing rudder; larger rectangular center hatch; 8" gt175 gear tracs behind the rear molded in holders which hold scotty rocket launchers on yakattack track mounts and a visicarbon on a scotty gear head. I still need to add an anchor trolley and decide where to stick my lowrance. The suggestions above are great also.

You may or may not need the sailing rudder and turbo fins depending on the type of fishing you do...I do need them and recommend the upgrade if you get out into open water much. I love the rectangular hatch so far...it is not at all hard to open for me and I can keep so much more stuff below deck (I turtled late last fall and lost a tackle bag full of stuff because I forgot to tether it...never happening again now that I can pretty much stick everything below).

Comment

Exactly what i was looking for John. I wasn't sure about upgrading fins/rudder. I will be in prospect bay and eastern bay the most, but want the ability to go in the big bay. So they are on the list now. i watched a youtube video of the hatch upgrade. looked pretty cool, but looks like a project for my first winter if at all. I pick the boat up Saturday. I will take it out a few times before I think about where the lowrance and rod holders go. thanks again guys

Comment

you may not need to upgrade the fins or rudder but i HIGHLY recommend it.. for reasons of comfort.. Your turning radius is going to be far better... and with the larger fins your going to move a little faster, which is going to cover more water, faster, and easier...

the rectangle hatch is great. My PA has it, and its great. I use the bucket for the keys, wallet, camera, flashlights, snacks, whatever i need quickly. The tackle box holder is cool to, but i just dont use it.

Get yourself a nice PFD.. the self inflatable ones or with Co2 are nice, but i had it go off 4 times this winter inside my garage.. I moved to an Astral Ronny Fisher PFD and its amazing.. so light. many pockets.

Do not mount anything on your yak until you take it out a few times and get a feel for what you want and where you want it. .

The hummingbird Helix or Elite 4 or 5 hdi would be perfect, all 3 units are on sale for great prices.

I HIGHLY recommend the hobie Steering Knob.. man it makes such a difference in comfort when steering.. 10$
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
              X