Shopping around for a new kayak cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
    Alright, I took the plunge on a C tug...won't be here for at least a week though. I'll be glad to be done with the scupper holes. I was impressed with the you tube videos above. I got one that has sand hopper wheels. I hope they work out at Beverley triton beach better than my hard wheel scupper hole cart did. It wasn't all that far of a haul, but it was a pain.
    I got mine on amazon with my prime membership. Paid $8 extra for next day...ordered it yesterday and package was here when I got home from work tonight.. $148 including next day shipping.
    I hope to be rolling it over the sand at cbbt tomorrow afternoon so I will let you know how it does.

Comment

I tried the ctug this weekend at Kipto and cbbt. I did the long drag to the beach at Kipto across very deep soft sand on the 4x4 path. With all my gear and a cooler with ice (over 100 lbs total) it did roll through the deep sand but I had to walk backwards and use to hands to struggle with the wheels dragging. The sand on the beach at cbbt is a little firmer and going down to the water in the morning it rolled right across very easily dragging with only one hand.

I did not assemble the straps yet, I just used a small ratchet strap instead. I can definitely see the cart sliding off an outback unless you have something you can use to keep the straps from sliding (on my outback, I have tracks mounted behind the rear molded in rod holders and they work perfectly as a spot to keep the straps from slipping. The ctug breaks down easily and fits right into my front hatch for storage. I am pretty happy with it, though in retrospect I wish I had ordered the wheeleez and built my own custom fit to the outback hull. However, I wanted one right away and did not have time to spend on any kayak projects before I left to the beach this weekend. I am not disappointed with the ctug for the money and features.

Comment

Location of the strap for Hobie Kayaks

John,
        Sometimes, my total weight is 140 LB in the morning. It can get heavier in the evening if I catch fish and my wetsuit is wet. I struggled all the time at Kipto and CHSP.

There are two bumps on Hobie as Paddle seats. I put the strap next to the second bump from the bow. Because you are pulling all the time, and the kayak is fatter toward middle, it will be very secure.
        Besides that I put 120-145 LB on the wheels. I lift only 10-20LB from the bow - not a problem!!!. Though, pulling the kayak on the sand is big thing for me who weighs 150 LB.

[IMG][/IMG]Here is the location where I put the trap on all Hobie models:

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
        Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
          That's not a cart. This is the cart:

LOL....you're absolutely right, Joe.

I use only one strap, and it has worked fine for years. No slippage. I do route the strap between the 2" horizontal pipe and axle, then back up around the hull. Provides more "compression" of the rails against the hull.
          Last edited by tufnik; 04-20-2015, 07:11 PM.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,
            I modified your design.
            I added an additional metal stud on the top, above the wheel axle. he metal is inside a thin PVC pipe. he metal stud prevents two vertical PVC pipes from bending when the strap pulls the pipes with force.
            I also use only one strap which is 14'. 12' is too short for Outback.

There is no rust yet on the metal parts yet.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Joe,

I've attached my cart pics. If I carry heavier loads, I'll copy your design because it looks stronger. Nice work. What diameter is that foam noodle and where did you get it from?

BTW, I used screws on my PVC yak loader. You were right; it's strong enough with screws. I don't have to use PVC glue.
              Attached Files

Comment

I used 2" PVC Pipes for the cart.
                I usually buy a bunch of pool noodles at Wal-Mart in summer.

Here is another copy of your design. I made it because Redfish12 gave me the suction stuff a year ago, and one day I made it in case my tundra is in shop. It fits perfectly for Revo. I need to widen the width for Outback, or redesign a bit for both models of kayaks. Since I used screws I can simply replace or add some parts:

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Brilliant! I have a weekend project now. I just have a single suction cup roll bar thing for the back window of my SUV and it doesn't work super well. The suction cups don't hold and it slides off to either side too easily.

Comment

Where can we find those suction cups?
                    Mike

Comment

Harbor Freight or Northern tools. Type in "suction cups." I think they're about $7-8 for two.

Good idea for my SUV, Joe. In case my main yak transport goes in the shop for repair, I can use the SUV with that yak loader.
                      Last edited by tufnik; 04-22-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Here's another version of the suction cup PVC loader.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=73&t=31224

Comment

The C-Tug was a dud in the sand. Its great on hard surfaces though. Overall, I like it better than the scupper hole cart.

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                            The C-Tug was a dud in the sand. Its great on hard surfaces though. Overall, I like it better than the scupper hole cart.
                            You're right! The only way I've seen those C-Tug carts work well in sand is when they are modified to fit the 30cm Wheeleez wheels. That's a helluva combination!

Comment

Working...
                            X