My review of the Ascend FS12t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of the Ascend FS12t

So I've read a lot of discussions on the web about this kayak. It's a kayak a lot of people consider buying for a few reasons but most importantly the price ($550 at basspro). I figured I'd do a review for anyone thinking about buying this kayak. You all have helped me out a lot when I got started so I figured I'd give back some! Anyways on with the review

11011521_10153765149829689_2910097007825820054_n.jpg
    11027459_10153765149964689_5719997870406785203_n.jpg
    There she sits. Right off the bat these are the things I like:
    -The seat is very comfortable. Was out all day Tuesday and not once did I feel uncomfortable. It also doesn't feel as thought it sits super high. I was worried about this because I like a low center of gravity. But it's fine. Much better than the clip on seat of my old Ocean Kayak.
    -Tracks decently. My OK tracked a little better, but this handled fine going up river in choppy water. Was surprised at how quick it was also considering it weighs 78lbs I believe.
    -Has all the meat and potatoes accessory wise for the most part. Paddle clips, flush mount rod holder + 1 addition screw on holder, dry storage, quality bungees on front/back blah blah. Nothing super crazy but definitely enough to get you on the water fishing right away.
    -Deck layout. This is something I really liked. I like having a big open deck and this kayak has just that. I feel I have a lot more wiggle room than my OK and could even scoot up and layout on it.
    -Plastic for the most part is durable. The sides and bottom of the kayak are tough and I wouldn't hesitate taking it into some rocky parts of the river. There are some areas that need improvement which I'll talk about.
    -Very stable. Had no issues standing up in it.

And here's the things I do not like about it:
    -Seat pins. A lot of guys talk about these. They bend easily and the seat fits a little funny. I've looked up a couple videos on how to fix this so it's not something I'd make to much of a fuss over.
    -Areas where water doesn't drain. The molding is kind of odd is some spots. There's a lot of flat areas with no way for water to drain, I feel this is kinda dumb and could have been fixed.
    -Plastic in front of seat flexes a little. This is the thing that probably irritates me the most. I'm used to that OK premium plastic that doesn't flex what so ever. It was odd when I took the kayak home, set it in the grass and stood up in it. But I haven't read anything on the internet about someone tearing the plastic or anything like that so who knows maybe it's fine.
    -The idiotic placement of the extra rod holder. I think the only place that would have been dumber to mount this rod holder would have been directly under the seat. They mounted it right where you'll be swinging your paddle. I ended up just unscrewing it and not using it at all Tuesday. I ll probably end up drilling the rivets out and removing it all together.
    -Round dry storage hatch gets stuck. I picked mine up used and the guy before me said it's a biznatch to get the circular storage door open once sand gets in there. The seal around the cap is just big enough to let sand in, so if you try to open it with sand in there it just won't go. I'm going to take a power washer to it and see if it'll budge.

My final thoughts: It's a good starter kayak. Has some minor issues but nothing that would make me pack it up and demand my money back. And being able to pick one up brand spanking new for $550 was the deal sealer for me (I actually got mine used for $450). I would NOT buy this kayak if I was planning to do a lot of choppy ocean fishing. I also would not buy this kayak if I was planning to launch from the surf a lot. If any of you are thinking about picking one up and have some questions just ask away.

Sega
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I have been using this kayak for 2 years, however mine is the model before this one. I absolutely love it. I launch from Sandy Point often with it to fish the Bay Bridge. It handles the normal chop there very well. I have had no issues with mine and would recommend this Kayak to any angler.
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

I'd trust the older model a little more than this one. It doesn't have as many spots for water to sit and you're sitting a lot lower.
      Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I had the new FS12T for a little while before finally getting a Hobie. My dad now has the Ascend.

I want to suggest that you do NOT drill out the holes for the stock rod holder. Just remove the rod holder and leave the molded in screw holes. They are molded in quite well and should never leak if you leave them alone.

If you want flexibility with rod holder placement, gear tracks fit very well on the gunnels. I used 16" tracks and was able to line up the holes in a way that still worked with the molded in holes from the stock holder.
        Mike

Comment

Sega: Thanks for the detailed review.

I have not been on the FS12t but did a showroom review of it a the below link. Please let me know your thoughts about my points as I commented only from what I saw and felt from the showroom and not from the water:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=fs12t

I have not had a chance to try the FS12t on the water yet but I did try the other stand up kayak option I was looking at, the Perception Sport Striker 11.5 (West Marine has the same kayak named as the Cayman). Have you paddled the Striker / Cayman? If so, how would you rate the stand up stability, tracking, and speed compared to the FS12t?

Thanks for your input.

FG

Comment

I haven't paddled that particular kayak. I can really only compare it to my OK and my buds Eagle Talon 12. It tracks fairly well for how wide it is. Like I said I wouldn't try launching shark baits in rough surf with it, but I was able to cut through rough water on the potomac fairly easily. The front of the hull comes to an endge on the front so that helps with cutting through choppy water. The kayak is as stable as it is due to the bottom of the hull. I've never seen a hull like it before. Instead of the bottom being like a V, it's more like an M. No problems standing up on this kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Zack
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I love my FS12T 2105 model. Fixed seat and rod holder plus scupper holes were misaligned on my old 2014. BPS swapped it out for new model no questions asked. Join Ascend Owners on Facebook, great resource and we need more md boys in there. Love to meet up with other Ascsend owners in Maryland I fish on the southern Maryland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my Asced FS12T. It looks like you have the old 2014 model take it to bass pro they will swap it out for the new 2015 model with no questions asked. They fixed the seat issue, moved the rod holder, and also the scupper holes are misaligned on the 14th did you notice any water in your hull? Also joined ascend owners on Facebook great resource and we need more Maryland representation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow I can really take it back just like that?
                  Zack
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

They stand behind their brand call the manager and tell him you're coming in make sure he has one in stock for you

Comment

I called BP in AMills and the camping guy said he hadn't heard of anything like that. Might contact corporate. The only issues I have with mine is the pins and the rod holder placement. I haven't taken any noticeable amount of water on in the hull.

Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Speak to the manager Brad or Brent hes been there 7 years well aware of the issue. the pin issue it only gets worse it got to the point where I couldn't even use pins anymore to hold in seat.

Comment

Is he a the Arundel Mills store?

Zack
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post

Yes
                            Originally posted by sega View Post

Comment

What did they change to fix the seat pin issue?
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X