Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading Kipto and Rudee on Apr 9th, 2015

I trade the work day with my co-worker.
    I am heading for Kipto in the morning and try to fish Rudee in the afternoon tomorrow.

I DO hope I catch a tog or a puppy for dinner.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I have seen a few good tog reports this week, so I think your chances are good. Good luck
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

I wish I could join you. I'm definitely ready to hit the salt. Can't wait for your report. I may try to head that way this weekend if forecast is not bad.

Comment

• Slack at Kipto at around 10:00 am - Arrive at Kipto by 08:00AM
        • Slack (high to low) at Rudee at around 03:00 pm - Arrive at Rudee by 01:00Pm

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-08-2015, 10:22 PM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Good luck!!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Can wait for your report, water temp at Kipto was 54 today! I'm so ready for Tog season!
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Well,
              The actual water temp yesterday (Apr 9, 2015)
              Kipto: 47F
              Rudee:52F

I started fished the concrete ships at 09:00AM. I felt the water was colder than 50F. It was only 47F. I didn't get a bite at the southern ships for 30 minutes. So I fished the inside of one of the northern ships. Immediately I had two hookups. One on a 3/0 circle hook drifting on the bottom (with a 3oz slip sinker), and the other on the regular, my primary tog rod. 5 minutes later another one was caught on the 3/0 circle hook. I missed two bites back to back. A nice one was hooked on the 3/0 circle hook. But the leader was cut. All this happened in 30 minutes. After that absolutely nothing happened. I tried the southern ships again without any bites.

Around 11:00 AM I noticed the current is moving. The visibility of the water was about 7-8'. So I came back to the truck for a spear gun.
              I was in the water for 45 minutes before the current became strong, mainly checked out the inside/ouside of two northern ships. I didn't see any fish, not even a small bait fish. I am not sure if big togs will bite in a week, perhaps in two weeks

I arrived at Rudee at 03:00PM. The water was low. Somehow I got the high and low tides wrong. The water temp was 52F. For the next 4 hours, I had 6 bites. There was a TKAA member, who had about 18 bites. We thought small fish (unknown) were hitting our lures. All of us (2 boats, 4 kayakers) were skunked.
              We all said "The water this year is colder than usual". "Puppy will bites in a week"

Video Fishing Log:

------------------------------------------------------------
              Summary/Comparisons - 2014 vs 2015
              Last year, 2014
              Mar 23 CHSP Water: 40F skunked (no bites)
              Apr 01 Kipto water: 44F skunked (no bites)
              Apr 05 Rudee water: 57F 1 puppy drum, 1 flounder
              Apr 08 Rudee water: 58F several puppy drums
              Apr 12 CBBT water 54F several tog
              Apr 19 CHSP water: 46F several tog
              Apr 23 Rudee water: na 1 30”+ grey trout, bluefish, many Puppy drum
              May 02 CHSP water: 53F 1 tog, 1 flounder
              May 06 CHSP water: na Many togs

Mar 28 Rudee water: 42F skunked (no bites)
              Mar 31 Kipto water: 42F skunked (no bites)
              Mar 31 Rudee water: 45-46F skunked (no bites)
              Apr 09 Kipto water: 47F 3 togs @13-14" (total 6 bites)
              Apr 09 Rudee water: 52F skunked (6 bites by small fish)

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-11-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

So, did you catch the tog at kipto or lose them? The good bite is soon! Jet ski Brian reported a slow day at CBBT, the other day but had a couple for the table.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the report. I was going to try to drive down tonight and fish 4/11 and maybe 4/12, but your report has me rethinking this weekend.

Water temps are taking forever to warm up this year. Cbbt is still hovering in high 40's, but very close to getting into 50s soon.
                  http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=cbbv2

Station KPTV2 has been reporting water temps in mid 50s for a while now, but I guess it is substantially warmer in the shallow water where the station takes the temp reading...on both of your recent reports you saw temps much colder at the ships than what the station has been recording.
                  http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=kptv2

Comment

Ryan,
                    I landed 3 tog @12-13", one got away, and missed two bites.
                    I think from Apr 18 will be OK at Kipto.

Joe

Comment

Some friends and me fished the concrete ships 4/11-4/12. We were skunked along with two other yakers both days. Water temps seemed right, mid 50's both days.

Comment

Working...
                      X