Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buoybay.noaa.gov Back online.. sort of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buoybay.noaa.gov Back online.. sort of...

buoybay.noaa.gov Back online ... sort of...

After many months... it's back up.. so your web apps etc should also be working.
    Hopefully some of the locations will be fixed in the near future.

I don't know if they went through a total revamp... previously their 'fetching' was painfully slow.

Last year I wrote a little webpage that displays a quick synopsis of the data.. there is still some missing data..
    which now I can be motivated to fix in a day or so.

Last year it took nearly 10 minutes for the program to collect all the data.. so I only had it update once an hour.
    If the data collection has gotten more efficient I can run the cron job more often.
    Right now it updates the first 10 minutes of every hours... so you will probably get 'dead' requests...
    there is a little note about that on the page.

None the less... the official site is up and running your favorite tools for the data should also work.

http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/weath...baybuoys.shtml

Thanks for doing this. I use the Annapolis data buoy -- it does not appear to be functioning yet. Hopefully it will come back online soon.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm sure Annapolis will come back.. as well as the others.
      Right now I have it only reporting air temps.. which is from the NDBC for now. buoybay.noaa.gov is still off line.

I cleaned up the link I gave above for Internet Explorer.. should look a lot better for you that use that browser.
      I also added Kiptopeke to the map which wasn't on there before.

The fetch time for the data was real fast this morning.. but that may only be because hardly anybody knows .buoybay.noaa.gov'
      came back online. If the fetch time keeps being nice and snappy I can reproduce the data more than once an hour.
      Last edited by rob-kayak; 04-03-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

The site you set up is great! Thanks for doing that! It even loads and zooms quite well on my cell.
        Mike

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments Mr. Veil and Mr Mweber02....

I basically do this for myself because of the way I want to see the information.

There will be some more additions... particularly water temps at some locations.

Also Annapolis Wind Speed will be added...

I welcome any comments or thoughts.. but I'm not trying to compete with Windfinder or anybody else.

I just make how I want to see it... and I enjoy sharing. I'm not going to go crazy with G-oogle Api's etc...
          But any constructive insights are way cool.
          You like it, you use it... whatever...

My only last "soap box" would be the most and wonderful Lee Huffman...
          14 years ago that developed and programmed what is now being used by
          By NOAA, his programming skills were none to match.
          I was lucky to be on the ground floor of the group during the development stage.
          And lucky to have a group similar to this that shared the love for what they do.

You will find striking similarities to one my website(s) that look like this ...

http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/weather/

And the legacy of Mr. Huffman created that we all now use.
          And the official NOAA sites...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...3#.VR8UKeHfOuQ

Thanks Mr. Lee Huffman.... you were AWESOME .

side note: I added some tides to the bottom.. I will probably write a program so you don't have to refresh the page and see "dead" information.
          T-bone tides only keeps the info for a short time. So for now if you see "dead" info refresh the page.
          Last edited by rob-kayak; 04-03-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Another sincere thank you. I love those buoys!

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

rob-kayak,

Great work.

I set your site as a favorite to check it often.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X