Fletchers, 4-1-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletchers, 4-1-15

I fished Fletchers from shore today, Wednesday, 4-1-15, 11:30am-2:00pm. Excellent conditions prevailed. I caught 32 hickory shad. Steady pick the entire time. Every couple of casts something fishy would happen. At least a 1/3 of them were nice-sized females full of eggs. All hit 1.5” tubes or chartreuse twistertails rigged on a 1/8oz jighead. A 1/4oz bullet weight was added 3’ up the line to improve casting distance. Fishing pressure at noon was extremely light, maybe 4-6 boats out. Flow was 4.1’ (well below average), water temp 51F, water vis about 3’+. The run has started.

Couple of hickory pics attached. Also added a pic of the kayak launch at Fletchers located at the far end of the lower parking lot. (Camera time is still on EST.)

Fletchers Hickory, 4-1-15.jpgFletchers, 4-1-15.jpgFletchers Kayak Launch.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Thanks for the report.
    Is the fishing center open?
    Need to get the D.C. license.

Comment

You know, I didn't even glance at Fletchers rental office as I drove down the parking lot... my bad. I did see a few Fletchers boats out on the water. But then I know that some patrons there have special preseason privileges... or maybe the staff took out a couple of boats to see what's going on, dunno for sure.
      Howard

Comment

Nice Howard! I'll have to get my DC permit and venture to Chain Bridge.

Comment

You know it's spring when Howard posts his first pics of shad. Let the games begin. Nice work!

Comment

Fletchers is renting boats and the office was open on Sunday. I believe they are now open for the season.

Comment

Good report Howard. After commuting from Annapolis to DC for 20 years, I do my best to avoid driving there anymore. I will probably wait until the lower Susquehanna gets going. 32 shad in a day sounds like fun.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                You know it's spring when Howard posts his first pics of shad. Let the games begin. Nice work!
                Haha, isn't that the truth!! Nice fish Howard
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

That's a great day! Good to hear about the water clarity.

Comment

Thank for the detailed report.
                    I haven't thought about shad fishing this year. But now I am going to try at least once. I will prepare your rigs and try them in Occoquan tomorrow.

Joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe - This is pretty much my goto shad rig for Fletchers when fishing from shore. I rarely fish from a boat.

Shad Lures, 3-31-13.jpg

1.5" crappie tub red/chartruse or limetruse rigged on a 1/8 to 1/4 oz red jig... Then ~3' up the line a small swivel... then a 1/4 oz bullet weight pegged in place with a round tooth pick.
                      Howard

Comment

HJS,
                        Thanks for the pictures.
                        I stopped by my local Dick's on the way home. I didn't see any 1.5 " chartreuse twister tails. I did see the tube (red/chartreuse) on the post.
                        Anyway, I have to work tomorrow (filling in for my co-worker), so I will try after Apr 12.

Thank you.
                        Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM.
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          Good report Howard. After commuting from Annapolis to DC for 20 years, I do my best to avoid driving there anymore. I will probably wait until the lower Susquehanna gets going. 32 shad in a day sounds like fun.
                          I hear you!!! I like fishing at Fletchers for shad waaay more than I do on the Susky... but I hate the drive to Fletchers (from northern Frederick County) waaaaaaaaay more than the drive to the Susky. The fear factor of the drive culminates at the entrance into Fletchers off of Canal Road. As many do, I use to pull over and back down the one lane entrance road. Worked pretty good early in the morning. But now, as an older man, my head no longer swivels round like it use to. And if I'd use nothing but mirrors to back down, I'd be side-swiping the rock walls before I go 10'. Now I either jump up to MacArthur then down Reservoir Road or Clark Place WN... and doing all this in-sinc with traffic reversal patterns. I carry spare skivvies in the car in case something goes terrible wrong.
                          Howard

Comment

I've never done this. What depth do you fish? Speed? I know there is some really deep water at Fletchers.Do you count it down before retrieve?
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I use a 3 to 7 second count depending on the specific rock I am standing on. And yes the Potomac in the Fletchers area is very deep for its width. I've launched my canoe (with trolling motor and fish finder) there a couple of times. A lot of the main channel is 20'-30'+ deep, Fletchers Cove itself is maybe 10'-15' I found a few areas up to 40'-60' feet. The bottom of the river is lines with boulders. Using a painted bullet weight helps to keep from hanging up in the rocks. I try to run my lures at a depth of 10'-20' at a slow/mod speed depending on current and location. Throw a few little beer-jerks as needed. BTW, I'll lose a rig to the bottom maybe once even 3-5 trips to Fletchers. On the Susky I lose 5 rigs per trip.
                              Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X