No announcement yet.

Fletchers, 4-1-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only ever used fly fishing gear to catch shad, with sinking line. I wait a good 10 to 20 seconds and then strip line fast. How would you fish it using spinning gear? Still use a shad dart?

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
      I've only ever used fly fishing gear to catch shad, with sinking line. I wait a good 10 to 20 seconds and then strip line fast. How would you fish it using spinning gear? Still use a shad dart?
      The terminal rig I used is pictured in post#11 in this thread. I rarely use conventional shad darts. With a weighted jig and a 1/4oz bullet weight the rig sinks fairly fast. How fast I really don't know. I do monitor the angle of my line as it sinks. When it looks right I start a slow/moderate retrieve used little jigs every couple of cranks of the handle.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thanks, good to know...maybe I'll give it a shot sometime using spinning gear. I tested out fly fishing in the kayak last weekend. I wasn't sure how well stripping line would go from a seated position. It was actually not that bad. I installed a home made standup bar for my kayak, but honestly my balance just isn't all that great and I wasn't too comfortable even with the bar standing up, especially when I'm anchored up right on the seam of the main current.

Comment

I use silver buddies and kastmaster spoons with spinning gear. Darts have never work as well as those for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
            I've never done this. What depth do you fish? Speed? I know there is some really deep water at Fletchers.Do you count it down before retrieve?
            Not to confuse you with a bunch of different answers, but it depends. Sometimes not moving the lure at all works. Especially earlier on in the run. Seems once the run really gets going a constant retrieve with a steady pop/twitch.

Love Fletcher's Cove.

Comment

Here's a visual on my setup with instruction.

Comment

Very entertaining, nice video!

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                  Very entertaining, nice video!
                  Thanks YakCapn! Definitely had fun making it that day. Caught a ton of shad. Love that place.

Comment

I went this morning from about 9:00 to 11:30 and fished from shore. It was really really really windy. Hard to make a good cast. I didn't get anything but I saw people in the few boats out pulling some on rather consistently. I plan on heading back out again tomorrow afternoon with the yak to try again.

Comment

Working...
                    X