The Severn is a tough bite this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Severn is a tough bite this week

After having some success last week catching pickerel in Severn tributaries, I tried the past three days hoping to repeat the catching. None of us like skunk trips -- I am suitably humbled having just completed my third day in a row on the Severn with the skunk family still making its presence felt. None of the guys fishing with me on days 2 and 3 caught fish either. The period from late March to late April is the toughest time of the year to fish the Severn. The pickerel are more interested in reproducing than feeding, the white perch have not moved into the shallows yet (expect them about the second week of May), and the larger stripers that drop in for a few weeks have not shown up yet either. In 2013, I had a good striper trolling bite in the river from the last week of April until mid-May. In 2014, I had nothing until the start of May, then had several excellent catching weeks (stripers to 29" caught by trolling paddletails on medium spinning tackle).

This morning, Raptor and I made our first trolling exploratory trip to the mouth of the river. We launched from Jonas Green at 9:30 and rode the outgoing tide and brisk wind down the river. The water level was extremely low, taking some of my preferred spots out of play today because I kept snagging lures on the bottom in 3 ft water depth (normally these are productive 4-5 ft depths or deeper). Neither of us had a bite, nor did I see any evidence of fish or bait on my sonar. I saw three gulls this morning -- one was scouting (and it kept going), and the other two were sitting on the water taking a break.

Mark was not up for a long trolling trip but he launched with us, then fished for pickerel in a tributary. He too scored a skunk.

I plan to do similar exploratory trolling trips every week or so during April so I can catch the striper influx as soon as they get here. I had not used my pedal kayaks since last December. Today was a good practice for loading the heavier Slayer Propel 13, hauling it to the beach over soft sand at low tide, managing 4 rods while trolling and restrengthening my pedaling muscles.

Here is a fine photo taken by Mark this morning before we launched. It shows our expensive, well-equipped pedal-powered kayaks. They were good for exercise today, but not for catching fish. I keep telling myself and my fishing partners -- the bite will be better in a few weeks.

E.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John - good report sorry for the skunk but they will come up the Severn soon. Looking forward to my first 2015 Severn trip it's a great place to fish.

Comment

If the osprey could type they could report a good day.

I watched them hammer pickerel right in front of me.

Darned if I could do the same!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

With the winds expected to be crazy the next few days.. at 10am I made a quick decision to hit Weems Creek. Got there about 1pm.
        Windfinder had the winds being light this afternoon... Wrong :-) but you guys know how that goes.
        First time there.. nice launch and really nice locals. Winds were pretty strong from the northwest out on the river.

But alas... same as you guys.
        I did see a dead pickerel (snagged him with a hook to look at him better) in about 3 feet of water.
        Not in Weems Creek, another creek. It was on the bottom, still some color, but a lot of white.
        The belly was split open and the guts were hanging out. I don't know if this is what happens to a fish.. and then sinks from decomposing.

Winds was coming strong from the northwest. I had moved north to Martins pond and hung out on a little island. I packed
        everything away for the short trip back. And then I started seeing fish in 15 of water.. well I put some lures back on... trying the
        8 foot depths and some bottoms of 15 foot, where the FF was showing fish.

Didn't catch anything... at least the FF was showing some fish. Got out of the water around 7pm.
        Good to be in salt water again. Saw one Osprey with a small fish.

Comment

rob-kayak,

You kept our recent Severn record intact.

But it's good to get out, especially on such an interesting body of water.

Maybe that dead pickerel was the lost prey of an osprey.

I watched them completely submerge yesterday in their search for fish. They'd hit the water like a falling cinder block. I thought they only skimmed the surface with their claws when fishing. Not these guys. They were determined.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
            With the winds expected to be crazy the next few days.. at 10am I made a quick decision to hit Weems Creek. Got there about 1pm.
            Windfinder had the winds being light this afternoon... Wrong :-) but you guys know how that goes.
            First time there.. nice launch and really nice locals. Winds were pretty strong from the northwest out on the river.

But alas... same as you guys.
            I did see a dead pickerel (snagged him with a hook to look at him better) in about 3 feet of water.
            Not in Weems Creek, another creek. It was on the bottom, still some color, but a lot of white.
            The belly was split open and the guts were hanging out. I don't know if this is what happens to a fish.. and then sinks from decomposing.

Winds was coming strong from the northwest. I had moved north to Martins pond and hung out on a little island. I packed
            everything away for the short trip back. And then I started seeing fish in 15 of water.. well I put some lures back on... trying the
            8 foot depths and some bottoms of 15 foot, where the FF was showing fish.

Didn't catch anything... at least the FF was showing some fish. Got out of the water around 7pm.
            Good to be in salt water again. Saw one Osprey with a small fish.
            In March 2014 I caught a pickerel with a major gash on its side. The wound looked fresh, with some internal parts hanging out. But the fish still went after my minnow. Perhaps it had been the target of an osprey or heron, but was able to get away.

002.jpg 003.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow, that is one nasty bite taken out of that fish.
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X