Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about my 2015 Pro Angler

Hi guys,

this my second post so I'm new to the forum. I replaced my sit-in yaks with a Pro Angler 14...with the drop down skeg...I have taken it out a couple of times..in the last 3 weeks. should the skeg be fully deployed to work efficiently? Both times I've been out it has been very windy...difficult to really get a feel. Also looking to tag up of with some fellow Va. yak fishers....any around Woodbridge, Manassas, Gainesville ??

dave

I think you mean the rudder ......... yes you need the rudder to steer the PA ........ it's a bugger to paddle. You might also be refering to the Mirage drive. The Mirage Drive is either clipped in or it's out of the slot. If your not fully clipped in you could damage the drive or the Mirage drive slot. The PA 14 will get pushed around by the wind but the mirage drive will usually over power the wind.

Not exactly sure what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      I think you mean the rudder ..........
      The 2015 PA's come with a drop down skeg in addition to the rudder to aid in tracking.

I am not using a PA this year so I cannot comment on it from experience, but I would imagine that the skeg needs to be fully deployed to work as efficiently as it was designed to.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

thanks guys!...Mem makr....it really is a drop down skeg. new for 2015...the reason I ask the question to begin with...previous PA models have the skeg as part of the keel with the rudder drop down at the stern...the skeg on the 2015 is actually much larger in length that the rudder...that's why I ask ....to check the waters for experience.....I will be in the the intercoastal between little River and sunset beach in NC and SC next week...and will venture out the jetties...I'll find out for my self....

Dave

Comment

In Touring kayaks skegs can be used in a variety of ways. They always impact the tracking of the hull, but it is up to you to determine how far down you put it. There is a balance between tracking needs and hull speed - the more the skeg is deployed, the greater the reduction on speed but the better the tracking (and subsequent reduction in maneuverability). In a boat like the PA, the drive should easily mitigate the speed issue. A fully deployed skeg will also reduce the responsiveness of the rudder. They are opposing forces - one trying to keep the hull going straight and the other to maneuver. I would deploy it in open water and retract it when working in and out
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks for the info ........ I did not know they added the skeg. It should be a welcome addition because the PA does not track

Comment

Interesting discussion.

I did not know what a skeg was.

I had to look it up on-line.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X