Any reports from the Beach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reports from the Beach?

Heading down for a long weekend April 9-12, is there any action this time of year on the bayside, will be fishing from Chincoteague to Lewes. Taking the yak for the first trip of the year. Heard rumor of some flounder around, not sure how accurate that is.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Up here in NJ they move up into bays early in the season in April and get super shallow to warm up and feed on flats. I'd be targeting them on shallow flats at the warmest time of day and maybe on an outgoing tide if thats the warmer tide. I know flounder fishing is typically hotter down there in May but you never know!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

With a few more warm days, you should be able to catch a flounder around the seaside creeks and inlets. Here is a report from Steve's Bait and Tackle in Chincoteague. Like Romo said, I'd target shallow flats on the outgoing tide when the water is the warmest.

If you are in Lewes, consider trying for tog at CHSP.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

In years past, when I used to live in Chincoteague, I've caught flounder starting in mid-March. The waters still chilly this year though. I've been out on the work boat behind the islands quite a bit here the last month and last weekend water temps were maxing out at 47 over the flats. There should be flounder biting though by your dates in April. Assateague Channel is usually a good bet early in the year. The flounder are usually big early in the year too - most over 20"+

If you don't mind traveling south 30 minutes, and paddling a little ways to the fishing area, Folley Creek can be hot early season. The flats behind Metompkin and Cedar are only a few feet deep at high tide and warm up fast. Fish the channel between the flats on outgoing. You'll know if the bite is on - the parking lot will be filled beyond capacity.

And since I already know you surf fish too Freddie.... those are the money dates for when the black drum have shown in the surf the last couple years. If it's too windy for flounder, I'd be soaking fleas and clams in the surf!!
        Brian

Comment

Romo, Ravens Defense, and Slobber Bob, thanks for the input, I will definitely be fishing the beach a day or two, an depending on the results fishing the yak a day or two.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I too will be spending the same weekend down at the beach. Will be heading to Ocean City instead though. Unfortunately, i do not plan on bringing the yaks... i'm too afraid of leaving them on top of my car overnight... looking to spend some relaxing time on the beach with a little surf fishing and inlet fishing.
            Michael
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Working...
            X