Old Guys Who Like to Fish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Guys Who Like to Fish!

Harry and I are launching at Ft. Smallwood Park tomorrow morning at around 7:30 for a little Rock trolling. The Park opens at 7:00 and there is a small fee to enter ($5.00 it think). Anyone who would like to join us is welcome to come. This is the first official outing of the OGWLF club. There will be many more as the summer progresses. We will probably have lunch somewhere - like "Cracker-barrel."

Terry
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Thank you for the invite, Terry. I can't go but will look forward to fishing with you all soon.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      like "Cracker-barrel."

Terry
      I can just see you guys on the rocking chairs outside reminiscing old fishing tales! Too funny
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
        Harry and I are launching at Ft. Smallwood Park tomorrow morning at around 7:30 for a little Rock trolling. The Park opens at 7:00 and there is a small fee to enter ($5.00 it think). Anyone who would like to join us is welcome to come. This is the first official outing of the OGWLF club. There will be many more as the summer progresses. We will probably have lunch somewhere - like "Cracker-barrel."

Terry

Folks,

We have to cancel small craft warnings for tomorrow!

T.
        Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Too bad about tomorrow but a wise call -- which is what I'd expect from the OGWLF geezers.

For future reference, AA County Parks lowered their fees. Entry to Ft. Smallwood and Downs, both with kayak launch areas, is only $3.

You can get an annual pass for $20. It used to be $40.

And if you're a certified member of the OGWLF (and 60 years old) you can get a lifetime pass for $20.

Looking forward to lunch at Cracker Barrel on future outings.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I am not sure who designated tomorrow's conditions to be small craft warnings. I just checked Windfinder.com for the Annapolis area. The Forecast shows 7 to 11 knots tomorrow morning. The SuperForecast (a separate meteorological model) shows between 4 and 8 knots tomorrow morning. Those are fairly typical conditions throughout the year -- not the basis for warnings.

For those old guys who like to fish but are timid (OGWLFBAT), check out the leaning bar that Capt Frank Tuma (Downtime Charters) made for his Slayer Propel 13. He mounted a medical walker to the gear tracks. Just think of the possibilities -- use it on the water for sight fishing and in the parking lot to get into the Cracker Barrel.

John Rentch and I (two other members of the old guys who like to fish club) will spend a few hours in the Severn tomorrow -- there is always some place to hide from the wind in the creeks and coves. I fished 7 times in the Severn during the past 10 days -- I had one good day with the pickerel, but the bite has been tough since early last week.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good luck guys.

Can't join you.

Doctor's orders -- really!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Have fun.. Save me 1 or 2 I might get off on Easter if I do I'm going out..
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

L
                  Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  I am not sure who designated tomorrow's conditions to be small craft warnings. I just checked Windfinder.com for the Annapolis area. The Forecast shows 7 to 11 knots tomorrow morning. The SuperForecast (a separate meteorological model) shows between 4 and 8 knots tomorrow morning. Those are fairly typical conditions throughout the year -- not the basis for warnings.

For those old guys who like to fish but are timid (OGWLFBAT), check out the leaning bar that Capt Frank Tuma (Downtime Charters) made for his Slayer Propel 13. He mounted a medical walker to the gear tracks. Just think of the possibilities -- use it on the water for sight fishing and in the parking lot to get into the Cracker Barrel.

John Rentch and I (two other members of the old guys who like to fish club) will spend a few hours in the Severn tomorrow -- there is always some place to hide from the wind in the creeks and coves. I fished 7 times in the Severn during the past 10 days -- I had one good day with the pickerel, but the bite has been tough since early last week.

John, the small craft warnings for the Patapsco and bay were from NOAA marine weather

ANZ538-302000-
                  PATAPSCO RIVER INCLUDING BALTIMORE HARBOR-
                  1047 AM EDT MON MAR 30 2015

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING
                  SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH
                  TUESDAY AFTERNOON

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                    L

John, the small craft warnings for the Patapsco and bay were from NOAA marine weather

ANZ538-302000-
                    PATAPSCO RIVER INCLUDING BALTIMORE HARBOR-
                    1047 AM EDT MON MAR 30 2015

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING
                    SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH
                    TUESDAY AFTERNOON
                    Harry - I am just having a little fun. A decision on whether to get on the water is a personal one and encouraging/inducing/teasing someone to go when the weather is iffy is a bad idea.

NOAA reports do not have a great precise track record, in part because they are intended to cover broad areas and wide bands of hours. Some of the other weather resources (I use windfinder.com and weather.com) give forecasts for more localized areas plus they give predictions in 1-hour or 3-hour bands. As of last evening, Tuesday looked like moderate winds in the morning with higher winds during the afternoon. As of 6:45 am today, those predictions are more or less the same, but the transition from moderate to high winds will now come an hour or so earlier.

When I make a trip decision, I evaluate the wind speed predictions over the period of time during which I would be on the water, the direction of the wind (you may be able to find a calm area in the wind shadow of a land mass even on a windy day, plus the tides (tidal current in opposition to wind-driven waves can yield larger waves).
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

No problem John just posted where I got the info from. I looked over several weather forecast and all different. Wish we could find an accurate one because we need to fish!!! I think I will start using wind finder, sounds like you find that more accurate.

Good luck today!

Comment

Love the Ole Guy Lifetime pass for $20, need to get me no of those. I like this OGWLF club.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yes, it's a good group.

But it's humbling when you automatically get offered a senior coffee at McDonald's.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Will look forward to your next Ft. Smallwood trip. You earned that senior coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by yakken121212 View Post
                              Will look forward to your next Ft. Smallwood trip. You earned that senior coffee!
                              almost as good being carded at 40 years old. At 60 years old any discount is appreciated.
                              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X