Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Balitmore MD from NC... storage ideas and a starting fishing area

Hey SL guys!

I'm moving from NC to MD on Friday and looking for possible storage ideas. I have a two bedroom apartment, but the spare room is only a 10x10. Does anyone or has anyone ever split a storage unit with anyone before? Its just a thought.

Also, I mostly fish bass and of course want to go asap when I get there. I will drive more than an hour if the spot is right. The options seem numerous based on the maps and some of the reports I checked out. Any advice on a good starting spot? River or lake doesn't matter to me.

Thanks

Bill

Bill we have several bass spots that should suit you. There are a few reservoirs which you'll have to check the rules before fishing there. Some require that you not fish elsewhere with that boat. Tridelphia, Rocky Gorge and Loch Raven are popular bass spots. In the upper bay you can try Middle River and the associated creeks, the susquehanna flats, Mariner Park, Saltpeter Creek, Dundee Creek...etc, etc. I live north of Baltimore so those are the areas that I know. Some others will chime in too.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Thanks Yak Fish.

So are they trying to cut back on evasive species? That seems pretty steep. Thanks for that info.

Comment

The invasive species are zebra muscles. Some of the reservoirs are particularly precautionary.

Maryland's Eastern Shore is close to your driving window and has several ponds with Largemouth Bass -- Unicorn Lake and Wye Mills to name just two. The only negative is that these ponds tend to get choked with vegetation or algae by June or July.

Also within your preferred driving range, perhaps closer to two hours, is the Upper Potomac River to the west near Brunswick and/or Antietam for Smallmouth Bass.

I would encourage you to explore tidal fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Your freshwater bass tackle will work just fine for striped bass right from Baltimore's harbor and throughout the Bay.

Welcome to Maryland. Many fishing opportunities await you.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Lake Roland is just north of Baltimore and is often overlooked. Centennial Lake in Howard County is not far either.
          If you like moving water, the Upper Potomac is not far away as Mark mentioned.

The rationale for the limited access to the local reservoirs, Liberty, Loch Raven and Prettyboy, is that they are the water supply lakes for the Baltimore Metro area, and there is a fear of the zebra mussels clogging the intakes.
          This is not an issue with Rocky Gorge and Tridelphia as they are Washington DC water supply lakes. You just have to buy a day use permit for these.

Comment

Thanks Bignose,

I did take a look at centennial. Its right near my girlfriends place. I figured it had to do with the zebra mussels. Just seems crazy to say you can't use your boat else where. Just need people to clean boats when they leave. Ill take a look at the rules and go from there. The further up the potomac I go the better the fishing get?

Comment

I prefer the Upper Potomac from Point of Rocks/Lander/Brunswick, and then further up Shepardstown, and Taylors' Landing.
              I taught in the Centennial district for many years, stopped fishing there because I kept running into my students. They were the reason i went fishing, to get a little peace!
              It's a pay per use lake, and get's crowded on weekends.

Comment

Bill,

I wouldn't say better. It depends on what kind of fishing experience you're looking for. The farther up the Potomac you go the more likely you're going to encounter relatively shallow, rocky water inhabited by Smallmouth.

The lower portions of the river are tidal and have Stripers and Largemouth among other species of desirable fish to catch.

The same can be said for the Susquehanna which also feeds into the Bay.

You'll have no shortage of sites to fish.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I looking for any type out the gate. Right now I focus on small rivers and more remote locations in NC to find better fish. Im not opposed to having to drag or portage to get to spots. I seek the adventure of it.

I will for sure be hitting all the tidal stuff in MD, as well as head south of DC to fish the Potomac and James.

Are there any well organized kayak fishing tournaments in the area besides the River Bassin that comes to town?

Comment

Originally posted by BillKohls View Post
                    I looking for any type out the gate. Right now I focus on small rivers and more remote locations in NC to find better fish. Im not opposed to having to drag or portage to get to spots. I seek the adventure of it.

I will for sure be hitting all the tidal stuff in MD, as well as head south of DC to fish the Potomac and James.

Are there any well organized kayak fishing tournaments in the area besides the River Bassin that comes to town?
                    Www.makbf.blogspot.com Check it out for tournament series

Comment

Working...
                    X