Where do the shad run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the flow rate.
    90,000 cfs translates to about 16 feet at the Dam. That is about as high as I would want the river to be when wading as well. Anything much over that puts the river level up almost into the trees and casting, even with a spinning rod becomes problematic.

Look at the USGS gauge online. Call the hotline for the generation schedule.
    1-888-457-4076.
    This will tell you how many generating units will be in service, and tells you how cfs they will pass thru the turbines, but they don't tell you the actual river level.
    During the week, the flow goes up and down during the day. A rising flow during a low light period is great, a falling level during mid day can slow things way down.
    On the weekends, the river level is often lower. Anything much below 11- 12 feet is low for this time of the year.

For what it's worth, I find that the Potomac's run starts about 2 weeks earlier than the Susky's.
    Last edited by bignose; 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I tie my own shad darts. Size 4 to size 8 hooks.
      shad darts.jpg

Comment

Fletchers rents boats if you don't want to bring the kayak or fish from shore. Fly fishing from shore is a big pain and wading at Fletchers is not easy (or very safe usually).

I didn't have my kayak until later in the year last year so I did the boat rentals when I went. On weekends during the peak weekends you have to be there by 5am to realistically have a chance at a boat. Otherwise you are waiting for someone to come back in which could be hours. Its crowded at times, but not totally unreasonable. And when the bite is on, there are plenty of shad for everyone.

Fletchers.jpg

Comment

The flies/darts look great. The right color selection, but for some reason, the Potomac shad also like hot pink.
          What weight fly rod are you using?
          Sink tip or full sinking line?

Comment

Full sink line...I want say 7 weight fly rod, but it might be 8...I haven't got it out yet. I only use it for the shad run.

Comment

Thanks, I should make some hot pink ones too. By the time you buy all the materials; hooks, lead wire, thread, chenille, hackle, etc. in all the different colors I start to wonder if I'm really saving any money tying flies just for me. I suppose over a few seasons I will come out ahead. I have to say I've really enjoyed learning the fly tying craft.

Comment

There's a good spot on the Susky close to the dam that would probably be good for fly fishing. Park in the end of the parking lot furthest from the dam then walk down the trail a bit and you'll see concrete steps that lead down to the river. If u get there before anyone else you'll have the spot to yourself. The action isn't as fast n furious as it is by deer creek but when there's good flow in the evening you'll catch a lot of fish.

Comment

What about on any of the Eastern Shore rivers? Heard some guys saying they had a caught some in the Chicamacomico. Transquaking is in the same area. Don't know if they run thick there or if it is just a hit and miss thing.

Comment

There's a report that a few hickories were caught at Fletchers on Friday 3-27-15. These are the first stragglers. May take several more days for them to be thick enough to have a good day catching shad. How fast they show up in force depends on river conditions, like water temp and flow.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I heard report that they are thick in Occoquan. I haven't verify since trout action are hot right now.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                      There's a report that a few hickories were caught at Fletchers on Friday 3-27-15. These are the first stragglers. May take several more days for them to be thick enough to have a good day catching shad. How fast they show up in force depends on river conditions, like water temp and flow.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                        I was there Sunday and there was no action. The water temperature dipped on Saturday though. It was only 43 degree water on Sunday. Nice day, but no shad.

Comment

Where do you fish for shad on occoquan?

Comment

To get information about the status of the shad run at Fletcher go to the Fletchers website and click on "Fishing Reports. Then scroll down a bit and see the "Chapter Shad Reports" on the right side of the page. These report are prepared by the National Capital Chapter - Trout Unlimited. Follow direction to get access to their shad report. I think it is free.

http://www.fletcherscove.com/
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X