Shimano Calcutta 401 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimano Calcutta 401 Help

Can anyone give me your thoughts, reviews on this reel I cannot find much info on it at all. I thought calcuttas were well known and expected to do a google search and get loads of info. Someone is ready to sell it to me for $150 I fish for fluke, striped bass and blues most. I just purchased a avet sx which of these 2 are better? I'm also looking for something for fluke and geared more towards a baitcaster and i also take it that these 2 reels may be to big for fluke? Can you give any suggestions on some saltwater baitcaster for fluke under $150. I really like the lexa 300 and it can be had for a good price but I seen where someone posted a pic of the paint having corrosion and they always rinsed then a friend said he also knows someone who had corrosion, these are the only 2 cases i heard of this.

I have a calcutta te 401 and an avet lx raptor, both entirely different reels as far as performance. Obviously a lx and sx are pretty different, but I've handled a sx as well and know they are similar. Personally I don't think you can find a better left handed stripper reel than the 401. Great drag, smaller profile than the sx, smoother, casts further, etc. Not to take anything away from avet, my lx is a beast and will handle major fish no problem. You can't go wrong either way, but the shimano is a pleasure to fish. As far as other recommendations in left hand, ambassadors are tough to beat for the money. There is nothing wrong with a 7000 and they are right at budget.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have the Calcutta and the Avet MC SX also. Both great reels, but they're also both heavy. Jigging for flounder or casting lures from either for any amount of time gets old fast. IMO both of those reels are best suited for either trolling or when soaking bait. Like you eluded to, both of those reels are also overkill for what you will likely be catching 99% of time. Most rockfish and practically all bluefish or flounder you are going to catch around here will be a snoozer on such a big setup. Remember, the yak provides a lot of additional drag on its own.

If you are looking for a baitcaster style saltwater reel, I would suggest the Shimano Curado 301. You can also add the power handle to add some leverage when reeling. It'll handle anything you'll catch in the bay if paired with the correct rod. It's still got a little weight to it, but its smaller profile makes it easier to cast and handle. I use mine on everything...flounder, sheepshead, tog, rockfish, and bull reds. It is usually always with me.

Although I don't own one, I've also heard good things about the Lexa 300.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        I have the Calcutta and the Avet MC SX also. Both great reels, but they're also both heavy. Jigging for flounder or casting lures from either for any amount of time gets old fast. IMO both of those reels are best suited for either trolling or when soaking bait. Like you eluded to, both of those reels are also overkill for what you will likely be catching 99% of time. Most rockfish and practically all bluefish or flounder you are going to catch around here will be a snoozer on such a big setup. Remember, the yak provides a lot of additional drag on its own.

If you are looking for a baitcaster style saltwater reel, I would suggest the Shimano Curado 301. You can also add the power handle to add some leverage when reeling. It'll handle anything you'll catch in the bay if paired with the correct rod. It's still got a little weight to it, but its smaller profile makes it easier to cast and handle. I use mine on everything...flounder, sheepshead, tog, rockfish, and bull reds. It is usually always with me.

Although I don't own one, I've also heard good things about the Lexa 300.
        I agree, the curado would be a better choice all around, or chronarch, but those are both out of budget. The only time I use the 401 is when seeking larger fish, definitely overkill for anything under 15-20 lbs.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Yeah, I must have read right over the budget part. I hate that part of fishing. Just by doing a quick google search, the cheapest Curado I found was $199.99.

This Diawa Lexa 300 (left handed) is a little over budget, but pretty close. Hopefully if you keep an eye out you'll find something that fits what you need.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by kayak Dee View Post
            Can anyone give me your thoughts, reviews on this reel I cannot find much info on it at all. I thought calcuttas were well known and expected to do a google search and get loads of info. Someone is ready to sell it to me for $150 I fish for fluke, striped bass and blues most. I just purchased a avet sx which of these 2 are better? I'm also looking for something for fluke and geared more towards a baitcaster and i also take it that these 2 reels may be to big for fluke? Can you give any suggestions on some saltwater baitcaster for fluke under $150. I really like the lexa 300 and it can be had for a good price but I seen where someone posted a pic of the paint having corrosion and they always rinsed then a friend said he also knows someone who had corrosion, these are the only 2 cases i heard of this.

I have the Lexa300 and have no issues with them. I've had one for 1 1/2 and the other one for a 1yr. They work great. I always rinse mine off after every use.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Don't know anything about the Calcutta, other than they are Shimano (need I say more) I just got a new Lexa 300 from Amazon for $ 135. So far I like it a lot.
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X