Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me pick and pack a travel fishing kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick and pack a travel fishing kit!

Hi,

It looks like I am going to be on the road for work for almost all of April, May and June. I do event production and will be traveling around the country, being mostly in the Gulf Coast, the Pacific Coast, the Rockes, and a few scattered Southern and Midwest locations. I don't think I will have a ton of time to fish, but I want to be prepared as on a few occasions now I have had the opportunity but not the gear.

I am going to build my kit into the following case:

It is a shotgun case that has a nominal ID of 33"x8"x3". That is a Plano 3600 and 3500 case inside for reference.

Right now my plan is to bring a single a single spinning reel, either a Shimano 1000 or a Okuma 30b, haven't decided yet. It will either go in this case or ride in my deeper tool case. For a rod I am going to find a nice two piece somewhere between LW and M. I have a M Uglystick that might work, but it's too cold to run out to the car and grab it to check for fit

Other then this, I am totally open to suggestion as to what tackle, lures, and tools to bring. I suspect I would just be bank/wade fishing but other then that I have no firm ideas or opinions on what to bring. Due to some late night ebaying I have a bunch of stuff so please just toss ideas at me and I can see what I have. I am not opposed to buying things but not having to would be a plus.

Any and all input, opinions, and suggestions welcome!
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Since nobody else has commented yet, here are some thoughts. If you think you will continue to do lots of traveling and want to fish while away from home, consider purchasing a decent travel rod. There are several old threads on Snaggedline concerning travel rods. I have a St Croix Premier 7-ft, 3 piece rod in its own tube case that my wife bought me many years ago. I use it once or twice a year and it still performs well. Hauling a 30" long 3" diameter tube is much easier than the large case you propose. Plus you can take it on a plane if you need that.

Regarding a reel, I think a 2500 series reel or equivalent size will give you more flexibility in target species than a 1000 series reel. Either will work, but the larger reel provides more options.

You have a better sense of what types of lures you like to use here, as well as what types of fishing you are likely to do (saltwater vs. freshwater, moving water vs. lake or pond, lures vs bait). You can take along a selection of things you think you will use and augment your tackle as you visit different locations and talk to local tackle shops.

As tempting as it may be to take huge amounts of tackle in many styles and colors, you can catch fish on just a few basic lure types. My personal philosophy is to minimize what I carry and not worry about it. Have fun on your journey.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, thanks for your imput. I have been looking at travel rods but am still somewhat paralyzed by the number of options. I will search for those old threads tonight. The case size isn't a huge issue as I can generaly slip it into the large tool chest I travel with so it will arrive with the rest of my work gear.

I ask about tackle and lures because I am unsure of exactly where and in what type of water I will be fishing in. Broadly, I would like to build a basic kit to cover freshwater and some inshore saltwater fishing, mostly from a bank or pier. I am looking for ideas about what the most "universal" choices would be. As you said, anything specific can be bought localy, but often I have little notice of when I have time off so I would like some basics to grab and go.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Take some jigheads and a modest assortment of soft plastic tails (for saltwater, use twister tails and paddletails) and a few bags of Gulps. I rarely fish freshwater so you can get advice from others for that If you throw hard plastic plugs and poppers, take an assortment of those. Take a few shiny spoons like the Johnson silver minnow. Throw in a few spinnerbaits from very small (great for panfish) to larger (for bass). For bait fishing, add a few bottom rigs, and small hooks and bobbers.

With a modest selection of the above lures (1 or 2 tackle trays), you can fish many types of waters. You may not have the absolute best lure for local conditions, but you will at least be in the game.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As far as rods I keep a quantum telecast 6'6" spinning rod in my car for last minute trips or unknown bass ponds. It is a telescopic rod...so no top notch materials here. It makes a great last min rod. As far as tackle goes for fresh water. I keep a small box with 4in Stinko's (green and white), a couple of jigs ( green and black), small beetle spins or other small spinner baits. Also I keep lipless cranks. With the small box you can also fit more hooks and weights for Texas rigs and keep you plastics separate. Not a top notch set up but ive caught 5lb bass on this rod.
          Tan-Tarpon 140
          Lime-Pelican Matrix
          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I have one of these guys in my truck at all times with a medium spinning reel for when ever I'm out and about, and I've never had a problem with it, slips right under the backseat of my pickup.

For tackle... I have a small box with jig heads, white grubs (2"), some shad darts (1/8 oz), some 2/0 worm hooks, and 2 or 3 different soft plastics(green 4" worm, bluegill drop shot straight tail, and a white gulp minnow are my current selection). At least as my main always there tackle... It allows me to fish for trout-bass, and up into light saltwater for when I'm traveling. Is it right for all situations? Nope, but I can't have a Cabelas or Bass Pro loaded trailer behind me, so I fish what I've got. And in theory, though never done it, I could go pick up a cheap pack of sharpies and color the white grubs to "match the hatch". If there are must haves to catch fish at a location I can pick them up, but I feel confident that I'll be able to catch something in most situations with what I've got...

Comment

Don't forget a couple rat-l-traps (medium size).They seem to work well in the summer time. Try black/silver and blue/orange. I would also bring some topwater for any ponds you come across. When the largemouth are spawning they destroy those things.

Comment

My standard travel kit usually contains an assortment of different sized bait hooks, a handfull of various sized sinkers, a couple small inline spinners, a couple jig heads, a float or 2, a couple small flies and a few soft baits like the 2 inch white grubs photocat mentioned. A 2500 series reel like J A Veil mentioned with a 2 spools, one light 6lb test and the other loaded with 12-15 lb will also expand you options without taking up much space. There are alot more small fish around so if you really just want to catch something, make sure you have plenty of small hooks / baits. Then if you want, you can then turn them into bait for larger fish.

Comment

I take a few inline spinners in 1/4 oz everywhere I fish. I've caught everything from perch and pickerel to snook and jacks.

Another option is small piece of plastic that says "Visa". Then you can adjust depending on location. Just ship stuff home when you accumulate too much and sell it off at next year's swap meet.
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                    Another option is small piece of plastic that says "Visa". Then you can adjust depending on location. Just ship stuff home when you accumulate too much and sell it off at next year's swap meet.
                    Haha, that is dangerous advice.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I will post some pictures once I get my kit together. Sadly none of my current 2-part rods will fit so it looks like I am buying a travel rod this week. Okuma makes one I have been looking at pretty hard and Amazon has it for under $100.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

What about building a travel rod? You could build a pretty sweet rod for under $100...unless you're like me and have a tendency to go overboard. I've considered building an ultralite out of a the top 2-3 sections of a fly rod.
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                        What about building a travel rod? You could build a pretty sweet rod for under $100...unless you're like me and have a tendency to go overboard. I've considered building an ultralite out of a the top 2-3 sections of a fly rod.
                        I have done a little reading about rod building, but I don't have near the space for it now. I think I am going to end up with a lead pot this summer however, at the rate I snag and loose spinners, I might as well make my own.

In any event, I am leaving in about a week so there is only time to buy.
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I bought a 3 piece 7' medium spinning rod from Bass Pro Shops. I also found a 7' 3 piece Loomis baitcasting rod on Craigslist. Perfect combo for catching snapper off the pier and leaving a mackerel head out waiting for a tarpon to hit while fishing the Keys last year.

Both fit nicely in my luggage. The quality is very good. I keep my tackle in a backpack I picked up at a yard sale for $5.

Works great!

Comment

Working...
                          X