Fourth day in a row yielded good catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fourth day in a row yielded good catch

Now that the ice is gone from my beloved Severn River, I wanted to see if the pickerel that were biting in December are still there. I fished Sat and Sun in Severn tributaries with minimal success. I caught one pickerel on each trip. Yesterday I did a change of pace, hitting three freshwater spots on the eastern shore -- again just one fish for the day -- a small LMB.

001.jpg

I had not planned on fishing today. After lunch, I looked at the windfinder.com forecast for tomorrow -- it reported strong winds. The forecast for this afternoon was very low winds. So on the spur of the moment, I loaded up my Manta Ray 11 kayak and headed to Jonas Green. The water level was already low and would drop throughout the afternoon. I planned to fish in two tributaries this afternoon. In the first tributary I caught four pickerel in water about 3-4 ft deep. I was feeling happy about the increased catch rate.

I moved over to the second tributary (the place where I caught a single fish on Sunday). The very low water level had moved fish away from the edges and concentrated them in the deeper section toward the middle of the tributary. They were not everywhere, but once I found them, the bite was strong. In about 1.5 hours, I caught 11 more pickerel and had bumps or grab and drops on 23 other casts. This was the fastest action I have had in months. I left the fish biting after my feet got too cold to continue.

During the first part of the winter when I was competing in the Severn River Rod and Keg Club winter-long pickerel tournament, I used live minnows as my preferred bait. Pickerel prefer live minnows to artificials most of the time. But after the tournament was over (and I won this year) I switched to fishing artificial lures. Most of my fish came on a 12 Fathom 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletail. At one point a pickerel ripped the lure off the jighead. I added a 4.5" 12 Fathom Buzztail with a long, slender tail stalk and a big sickle tail that pulsates nicely at low speed. The pickerel bumped that lure but would not hook up. I bit off 3/4" from the front of the Buzztail and rethreaded it on the jighead to make the lure shorter. After that modification, I began getting more bites and several hookups. I found that I needed to bounce the lure slowly along the bottom in 4-5 ft depth. Once I did that, the fish were all over it. I had a few fish near 20" with the rest in the mid-teens. There were no tiny hammer handles like the ones that were common in December. They either grew up or got eaten.

The photo shows the shortened Buzztail (top), full size Buzztail (middle), and Fat Sam mullet (bottom).

008.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

You certainly found your stride in the Severn today.

And belated congrats on winning the SRRKC pickerel tournament!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice! Sounds like you found the spot. I hit the Tucker St ramp a 2x this week. Got skunked the first day, and only landed one 12" pickerel the second.
      Zach
      Annapolis, MD
      Rudow's FishTalk Magazine
      Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
      Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13
      Old Town Topwater PDL 106
      Native Watercraft Redfish 10

Comment

Originally posted by zditmars View Post
        Nice! Sounds like you found the spot. I hit the Tucker St ramp a 2x this week. Got skunked the first day, and only landed one 12" pickerel the second.
        I just got home from fishing my seventh day in a row. All but one of those trips were in Severn tributaries. The fabulous day I described above was not the norm -- most of the other trips produced much smaller numbers. Here are the numbers of caught pickerel on each of those six trips.

John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Severn conditions were less than ideal today with rain well beyond the forecast's 1:00 p.m. cutoff. But winds were low and temperatures comfortable relatively speaking.

It was a good day to look for pickerel but they did not come easy. John and I traveled 6 nautical miles to find a few willing to bite our lures. I got three. Two fat females about 20 inches long and one hammer handle.

The largest hit a size 2 Clouser minnow (yellow over white) on a fly rod. The other two hit a chartreuse 1/8 oz. Roadrunner jig trailing a yellow 2 inch Mr. Twister. All were tentative, bumping the fly and lure several times before striking.

One encouraging sign is that we saw a few schools of bait fish in the Severn and in one tributary I saw minnows jumping from the water along the shoreline in front of a small bow wave created by a predator fish. I caught two of my pickerel by tossing near such commotion.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great job John and Mark! I'm looking forward to the white perch fishing in that area this summer. Maybe the croaker will be back, they were plentiful two years ago.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Severn conditions were less than ideal today with rain well beyond the forecast's 1:00 p.m. cutoff. But winds were low and temperatures comfortable relatively speaking.

It was a good day to look for pickerel but they did not come easy. John and I traveled 6 nautical miles to find a few willing to bite our lures. I got three. Two fat females about 20 inches long and one hammer handle.

The largest hit a size 2 Clouser minnow (yellow over white) on a fly rod. The other two hit a chartreuse 1/8 oz. Roadrunner jig trailing a yellow 2 inch Mr. Twister. All were tentative, bumping the fly and lure several times before striking.

One encouraging sign is that we saw a few schools of bait fish in the Severn and in one tributary I saw minnows jumping from the water along the shoreline in front of a small bow wave created by a predator fish. I caught two of my pickerel by tossing near such commotion.
              Mark was the pickerel king today. I had to wait until the last 15 mins of the trip to finally haul in a skinny 12" pickerel (at least it let me avoid a skunk). The water on the Severn was low, clear, and flat calm. It allowed us to look down and see the bottom in up to 3 ft depth. Mark recently installed a new FF/GPS on his kayak -- I can tell he is learning a lot about bottom features and contours in the Severn. Armed with lots of new sonar and cartographic information he will be a more successful fisherman this year.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Congrats Mark and John. Can't wait to be on the water again this year! I still have some prep to do, but Ill see you guys on the water soon.
                2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                  Congrats Mark and John. Can't wait to be on the water again this year! I still have some prep to do, but Ill see you guys on the water soon.
                  Eric -

We look forward to having you out with us. Mark caught his fish yesterday in nearly the exact area where I suggested that you cast on Dec 31 a year or so ago to get your large pickerel. I had found them there earlier in the week, but got only bumps (no hookups) there yesterday.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X