No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moken 12.5 weighs 72lbs. I can't imagine having to lift a 72lb kayak onto my car. Is this reasonable. Again I'm 5'10 n 165lb. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by jetblackink View Post
      The Moken 12.5 weighs 72lbs. I can't imagine having to lift a 72lb kayak onto my car. Is this reasonable. Again I'm 5'10 n 165lb. What do you guys think?
      You can do it.

And if you're still on the fence over which yak, make a few phone calls. All the shops have the 2015 models in and are probably trying to unload any leftover 2014 stock.
      Last edited by buzz; 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hello Jet,

While it's much easier for someone to tell me exactly what to get so I can save time researching and comparing, it is still worthwhile to test the kayaks first. If money is tight, it's all the more important to make the right purchase the first time. It will only take a few minutes to know if you like it or not. As for weight, 60-75 lbs may not sound alot but it is kinda awkward trying to lift 12-14 foot kayak above your head. Need to be careful not to twist your back. I ended up getting a kayak trailer and loved it.
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I did a lot of research online but so far i can not find any place close to me that has the kayaks I'm interested in available to test. I'd have to drive about 2 hrs north or 2 hours south.

Comment

My Pescador is supposedly 60lbs. but I have a lot of stuff I leave in the hull when loading it and I'd guess I am at least 72lbs. I am 5' 11" 165lbs., have a bad back and am getting old . I manage pretty well. Trying to grab the handles and flip the thing up over my head can be tough but can do it on my better back days. Over the summer it usually gets easier as I get a little more in shape between all the loading unloading and paddling.

Generally I load from behind vehicles, both small trucks, with the which entails lifting one end of the yak up, placing it onto my back rack or J hook(5-6 feet of the ground) and then usually with the help of a small step-stool or ladder, sliding it up and on to the other rack. It's nice to have help but I do manage. I have also just lifted from the side of the trucks, I can get my kayak rested on the front J hook and then swing the back up onto the rear one.

The loading I describe can be tough on a car if you can not get a cross bar near enough the back to sit the kayak on without hitting your vehicle on the way up or sliding it forward. I've seen systems to get around the problem both homemade and retail.

The ease or difficulty of loading are going to be based a lot on what type of rack/carrier and vehicle you have. I think the 72lbs. are manageable but could be difficult depending on how you rig up to load it.

The roof racks with the slide out bar that I have seen offer you the ability to load one end at a time which is pretty easy.
            boatloader.jpg

It is all going to be hard to think out. Almost have to have a boat in your hands and start loading and unloading to figure out what will work best for you.
            Last edited by DonV; 03-25-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I did a lot of research online but so far i can not find any place close to me that has the kayaks I'm interested in available to test. I'd have to drive about 2 hrs north or 2 hours south.
              Yes that's going to cut into your budget also. I'm in Glen Burnie and your welcome to give the Pescador a whirl. Maybe at Ft Armistead which is very close to me. Water is still cold and I hate to send a newcomer out in it but if you stay close to shore it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                Yes that's going to cut into your budget also. I'm in Glen Burnie and your welcome to give the Pescador a whirl. Maybe at Ft Armistead which is very close to me. Water is still cold and I hate to send a newcomer out in it but if you stay close to shore it should be fine.
                I'm in bel air so you're only 45 mins from me which isn't bad relatively speaking. I might take you up on that. I'll PM you this evening. Thanks a lot.

Comment

jetblackink I have a pompano 120 basically same boat as pescador,if you want I could meet up some where near belair to save you the drive.I am located in pylesville
                  Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                  Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
                  Hummingbird Helix 5
                  Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                    jetblackink I have a pompano 120 basically same boat as pescador,if you want I could meet up some where near belair to save you the drive.I am located in pylesville
                    What's the weight on that thing? I'd love to meet up, I could come your way cause that's not far at all.

Comment

its 60 lbs.let me know,eden mill park, has an easy kayak put in on deer creek ,slow water pretty easy place to test out a kayak
                      Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                      Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Sounds perfect, I know exactly where that is. Let me know when you have free time. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Comment

will be trout fishing in am sat and sun.let me know I could run home load it and meet you in afternoon
                          Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                          Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Sat I'm free until 5pm. Sun I'm available in the morning until 11:15am then tied up until about 5 or 5:30pm. Whichever works better for you.

Comment

let me check what I have going on during those times will let you know which is best.more that likely sat .
                              Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                              Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Great, thank you so much. Hopefully I can restrain myself from purchasing one before then. I just want to get one and be done with it so I can start enjoying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X