No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did have 12's and he had some Lures in 10 n 12 too I believe. I'd give him a call. He was selling the Lure 10's for 900.

Comment

Originally posted by jetblackink View Post
      I have a shorter 4 door sedan n I'm worried about the logistics of putting a 12' up there and getting it down to the water
      Your sedan should be just fine. I used to throw a 15' squareback canoe on top of a Datsun 280ZX.

Getting it down to the water you'll need another set of wheels. Check out this Snaggeline thread.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

So it seems like everyone is against a 10 footer. I was thinking 10 because the maneuverability. In that part of the Susky there's lots of rocks sticking out of the water(especially when there's no large gates open), trees, high n low spots etc. Also seemed like stability would be key when there was moving at a good pace. Am I totally on the wrong track with that thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by jetblackink View Post
          So it seems like everyone is against a 10 footer. I was thinking 10 because the maneuverability. In that part of the Susky there's lots of rocks sticking out of the water(especially when there's no large gates open), trees, high n low spots etc. Also seemed like stability would be key when there was moving at a good pace. Am I totally on the wrong track with that thinking?
          I'm against 10 because I've seen how slow it is. You waste a lot of energy paddle around especially if its a little windy. You still have maneuverability with 12, I got into really tight space with my tarpon 120.

Comment

I have a moken 10 lite for creeks and shallow rivers. I fish the area of the Susky you mentioned...if there is a high flow rate I get spun around like a top. In perfect conditions it's a great little kayak, but that will rarely happen. It's also slow in a head wind. If you can shell out the money for a 12, I would recommend it. Either way, you're still kayak fishing! Best of luck with your purchase.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Well thanks everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it. Looks like its back to the drawing board for me. Maybe by next year I'll have figured something out.

Comment

If you're on a budget, get a good used kayak. Just make sure to demo it first

Comment

I would not abandon ship AT ALL. Just go buy a boat! you can resell it for sure. Fishing in a less thyan perfect yak is still 100x better than fishing from shore or even a little boat. I paddled a tandem as a single for 3-4 years and now (thanks to Fishtank) I have a nice Stealth 14. ....but sometimes I still miss the tandem and it's rugged simplicity. I caught plenty of fish, never turtled, used electronics, fished the worst weather without a fear, fished with guys in various Hobies without shame

Buy a yak!! 12's are faster than 10s, 10s are handier than 12s. having a yak is infinitely better than having none!!!!!
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    I would not abandon ship AT ALL. Just go buy a boat! you can resell it for sure. Fishing in a less thyan perfect yak is still 100x better than fishing from shore or even a little boat. I paddled a tandem as a single for 3-4 years and now (thanks to Fishtank) I have a nice Stealth 14. ....but sometimes I still miss the tandem and it's rugged simplicity. I caught plenty of fish, never turtled, used electronics, fished the worst weather without a fear, fished with guys in various Hobies without shame

Buy a yak!! 12's are faster than 10s, 10s are handier than 12s. having a yak is infinitely better than having none!!!!!
                    Its just very frustrating to me because I just wanna be on the water by next month catching shad, then perch, followed of course by stripers. I don't have the time right now to drive 40 miles several times to try a bunch of kayaks. I've read so much about this online but I've gotten a lot of conflicting info. I'm glad I found this forum because you guys have unbiased experience and all seem to be on the same page, its been really helpful. I'd like to just buy something new that I can keep for a long time, as opposed to getting a used one and then wanting to sell it and buy another one next year. I'd love to be on the water by May. I appreciate your input because I'm the kinda guy who will drive himself crazy trying to find the perfect solution and never get anywhere. Being on a budget really doesn't help either.

Comment

A good way to test out kayak would be at one of the meet & greet. I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind let you try our yak.

Comment

you'll always be looking at another kayak, no matter what you buy.....we love checking out each other's yaks. We Pimp them, dress them, modify them....true plastic surgery LOL

Remember....kayak monogamy is not a virtue, it's just economics. Wanting to buy the yak of a lifetime is great...finding the yak of a lifetime would be a drag. What would we aspire to? I personally have a Harem of kayaks. 4 servicable inexpensive kayaks and my Stealth "trophy wife". I'm Happy as a clam.....but I still desire a Thresher155
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

True. That's how I am with fishing in general, there's no such thing as enough gear. When is the next meet and greet? I wouldn't mind at least looking at what you guys have. I'm just so ready to pull the trigger and buy something but like I said I'm trying to buy the right something.

Comment

Hey Jet, we don't want to see anyone go another fishing season without a kayak! If you are seriously considering the Moken10 lite you are more than welcome to demo mine. Hopefully you are close to the Susky. You could launch at Tydings and get a feel for the kayak in the marina. Then venture out to the flats and get exposed to some wind and chop. After paddling in those two different conditions you will get a feel for its capabilities. My schedule is insane but we can work something out if your interested...that's what we are here for. Send me a PM if this sounds feasible.
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post

I second that the only thing I regret is not getting a kayak sooner, spent to much time reading and researching and not doing. They all have pros and cons. Just don't get a real clunker and you will be good to go. Get out there this year don't wait you will regret it. Go with a ten if that what it takes but personally I'd also recommend a twelve if you can find one.

I'm a happy owner of Pescador 12 that I paid less than $400 for. I don't want another boat it's light, fast, tracks well and gets me where I need to be. My third year with it and still no plans for an upgrade. Nice boat if you are on a budget. BTW it is the same hull as the 2008 Tarpon 120. I've used my twelve in the Upper Potomac and it's nimble enough, the Susky won't be a problem.
                              Last edited by DonV; 03-25-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I should just break the bank and get the Moken 12.5 because everyone seems to agree that 12 is the way to go. I have looked at the Pescador 12 n new they are a couple hundred cheaper n a bit lighter. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X