Deer Creek Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Creek Shad

Has anyone heard whether or not the shad have started to run in Deer Creek yet?

Haven't heard anything, but I think it's historically a few more weeks away.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

the muds are runnin
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I think it's a little early. April is normally the start, going into May.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Wait until the dogwoods bloom.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Wait until the dogwoods bloom.
            I knew there was a "bloom" in there, but couldn't remember which one. Thanks John!
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I usually wade with the masses, but I hate combat fishing. This year I'm going to launch into Deer creek just before the old RR bridge and stay in the creek.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

My very first "100 fish day" in Maryland was somewhere in the 2002-2003 time frame, anchored in the boulders outside the mouth of Deer Creek catching American and Hickory Shad, and I didn't even know what they were.

Edit add: I was with another guy and we had heard that small mouth fishing was good up there, and we couldn't cast without reeling in a silver fork tailed mini tarpon.

Edit add again: I think we managed to catch 5 small mouth total between the two of us...and one red eyed rock bass.
                Last edited by Cowpokey; 03-23-2015, 10:32 PM.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

They didn't come in thick until the second week of April last year. One of my favorite times of year to fish! Whatever time you think you should get there to beat the masses, get there 30 minutes earlier!

Comment

I use to fish Deer Creek near the confluence with the Susky in my youth. I remember there was a White Sucker run about this time of year that came before the shad. There wasn;t nearly as many shad in those years. One day those white suckers gave me a blast. It was one after another. Good easy pullage for a youngin.
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I like to wade the Rock Run-Deer Creek area often during the Shad run. I will not put my canoe in this early in he season as the current is too strong for me to feel safe in.
                      The issue with kayaking in Deer Creek is that the creek is narrow, and shallow in most areas. There is a strong riffle right at the confluence where DC hits the main stem, you wouldn't be able to safely anchor there. And you'd be ducking a lot of hardware being throw from the shore bound fishermen. As well as their curses if you fish anywhere near the foot bridge.

A better launch choice is at the Mill at Rock Run. There is a small bridge where Rock Runs hits the Susky, and a medium carry down to the main stem just below this bridge. And plenty of parking, except on the weekend. It allows you to access an area that the shore fishermen can't get to so no combat conflicts. If you are familiar with the area, it is adjacent to the "islands" which I assume are remnants of an old bridge.
                      River levels of 16 feet at the Dam are reasonable, anything more and the current really rips.

Please be careful anywhere on the Susky. The water will be cold (shad start biting at about 59 degrees) and the current can be quite strong.

Comment

I've had numerous fun times catching & releasing the shad
                        @ DC. This year I will also be flyfishing for them.

Comment

I fished there last night. Skunked. Last year caught a couple on 4/6. Got 30 in a couple hours on 4/11. I really hammered them on 4/12 and 4/13. This was from shore with waders. Haven't fished for them in a kayak yet.

Comment

I'm planning on going and wading with my fly rod but will likely wait for the dogwood bloom first.

Comment

If you wait for the dogwood you may miss some of the best fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X