Costa Rica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica

Just got back from a week of fishing in Costa Rica. While this is not primarily a kayak fishing report but we did manage to get out on yaks one day. I went down with 3 friends and we fished out of the Los Suenos Marina near the town of Jaco. On Sunday we had a phenomenal day and boated 19 sailfish, had a mahi-mahi break the line at the boat and missed maybe 10 other fish. Best day we have ever had down there. On Monday we went 1/2 day kayak fishing with Kayak Jaco. They had 14' Native kayaks that had the one molded in rod holder and no other modification for fishing. The paddles (see picture) were split bamboo with a piece of plastic in the end – this made for some seriously hard paddling. We headed off towards rocks where roosterfish or mackerel might be lurking. Apparently lurking somewhere else as we were skunked for the morning, didn’t help that we weren’t using live bait. The scenery is spectacular as you fish against cliffs and large exposed boulders with waves breaking on them. Nothing like it in the DMV area.

On Tuesday we headed back offshore and caught 8 sailfish – a more typical day in numbers. Highlight of this trip was coming across a school of spinner dolphins that covered a surface area of 3 or 4 football fields – at least 1,000 in the pod. There were tuna jumping in with the pod but we couldn’t get them to hit our cedar plugs. On Thursday we went what I call mid-shore fishing going to rock piles and “hills” several miles off the coast line. We caught rainbow runners, amberjacks (two different species) and some red snappers by live lining blue runners. We had the calmest seas of the week, a glassy surface with long shallow swells that are typical of that time of year. As a sometimes sea sick person I appreciate the ocean conditions in Jaco in the winter months.

On non-fishing days we golfed, nature hiked and maybe hit a bar or two.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Big Mike; 03-22-2015, 06:36 PM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

That's one way to break cabin fever. NICE JOB...
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Nice! That's another on my bucket list.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Very nice way to get out on the water and get some fish.

Mobile

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

I've gone down there 5 years in a row to kick off the season. From January through April the sailfish stack up not to far off shore, most times the ride is only an hour or so to the fishing grounds.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing.
              Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Working...
              X