First pickerel since early Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pickerel since early Jan

As a result of our cold winter, I had not been able to fish in my local Severn River waters since early January. This afternoon's spring-like weather allowed me to get out for a short trip in Weems Creek. I cast lures to my usual pickerel spots and had very little interest except from one large pickerel (22"-23" long and fat). Just before the fish hooked up, I had two bites in the same area -- probably from the same fish. I had not bothered bringing my digital camera or measuring board on the trip since my pickerel tournament fishing was over for the year.

After releasing the fish back to the water, I noticed a tiny sphere on my boot and took a photo with the cell phone camera. Upon closer examination I think it was a pickerel egg dropped by the large Mom pickerel while I was unhooking her. I hope the rest of her eggs result in lots of young pickerel.

20150321_161128.jpg

The initial bites came on a 12 Fathom 4.5" Buzztail. The hookup came on a 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet 3" paddletail.

I ran into John Rentch at the ramp. His Slayer Propel 10 in road cone orange looked sharp, and he looked great in the seat.

20150321_160126.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Definitely a fish egg. Hope she spawns well.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks John for the pics. Your egg shot came out pretty good. Enjoyed being on the water with you today, hope to see you on the water again.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good outing guys.

More good days to come.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro