Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone care to predict? What the Susky Flats are going to look like Opening Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone care to predict? What the Susky Flats are going to look like Opening Day?

Is the snow melt from the NE going to still be an issue?

I know a rainy spring can make it a real mess yet I can have some hope we don't get a lot. Hope to hear from some with more knowledge of the river than me.

I want to plan a camping trip and had set on Susquehanna State Park for the weekend of the 18th. I'm guessing the M&G is still on and sure would like to fish the flats, see everybody and try one more time for a nice fish. Yet I am starting to wonder if I may not be better planning something else especially if the snow melt will still be affecting the river?
    Last edited by DonV; 03-23-2015, 10:09 PM.

Hey Don...it's so hard to predict the water condition with the change of the seasons. Last year was a bust until the last few weeks of the C&R season. The dam was under spill conditions because of maintenance and repairs of the spill gates. The dam was releasing water for two weeks straight. Turbidity was close to triple digits for the majority of the season...considering anything above the number 20 proves to be very tough fishing. Currently as of today the dam is once again in spill conditions due to ice finally breaking up in the Northern branches of the Susky. The duration of the spill condition will determine how successful the C&R season will be. If the turbidity remains to be high, sunlight will not be able to penetrate through the water and allow the grasses on the flats to grow. Unfortunately the Susquehanna NOAA buoy is still offline...for now the best bet is to keep calling the spill condition hotline for updates. (887) 457-2525.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for all the details Jeremy. It's all making sense now...
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
        Hey Don...it's so hard to predict the water condition with the change of the seasons. Last year was a bust until the last few weeks of the C&R season. The dam was under spill conditions because of maintenance and repairs of the spill gates. The dam was releasing water for two weeks straight. Turbidity was close to triple digits for the majority of the season...considering anything above the number 20 proves to be very tough fishing. Currently as of today the dam is once again in spill conditions due to ice finally breaking up in the Northern branches of the Susky. The duration of the spill condition will determine how successful the C&R season will be. If the turbidity remains to be high, sunlight will not be able to penetrate through the water and allow the grasses on the flats to grow. Unfortunately the Susquehanna NOAA buoy is still offline...for now the best bet is to keep calling the spill condition hotline for updates. (887) 457-2525.
        Damn It. I thought somebody was going to come on here and tell me the river was going to be clear, low wind, not a chance of rain and 50" fish in abundance for my weekend. Just no certainty in this life for my best laid plans.

Comment

About the only accurate prediction that can be made this time of year is that it will not be iced over for the start of the season.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Which season ?
            Right now it's very MUDDY. I am hoping it clears soon. Last year it cleared in the middle of April

Flats C and R season is open 12/16/2014 to 5/3/2015
            Flats closed from 5/4 to 5/15 to targeting stripers
            Flats Catch and keep season opens 5/16 to 5/31 and 6/1 to 12/15

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland.../striped-bass/

Comment

Like the guys said, last year was actually a bust until the very last week of the season. Literally, just 1 fishable week. The rest was a muddy mess. Hopefully it's not the same this year, but it is historically an unreliable place. You could have a great set of conditions and have it rain 50 miles north and ruin it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                Like the guys said, last year was actually a bust until the very last week of the season. Literally, just 1 fishable week. The rest was a muddy mess. Hopefully it's not the same this year, but it is historically an unreliable place. You could have a great set of conditions and have it rain 50 miles north and ruin it.

I originally was wondering more about ice melt coming down from the Susky drainage basin, which I'm not to sure of the size of. Is there so much up there in the NE that it could still be a factor that late in the year? I'd think not, that late into spring but have very little knowledge of that part of the country and could be way off base one way or the other.

Comment

I still have some snow in my yard Del and PA line I am sure there is plenty of snow left in PA and New York states. If we get higher temp and a hard rain at the same time the damn at conowingo will be flowing over the emergency spill gates just like the last few years. resulting in the susky flats looking like chocolate milk.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...agJPMsz0giqsCA

https://www.google.com/search?q=susq...tm%3B756%3B576

Comment

i held a tournament in the northeast river this past weekend.

had a few guys run out to the flats

2 inch visibility is an accurate statement.
                    Zach Moore
                    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

The only season I like to fish is the catch an keep season. If the river slows and clears, I may be there sooner. I will probably be fishing the salt sooner though.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                      X