Herrington Manor lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkoconvulse View Post
    Wow those are some nice fish ill only be out there for 4 days but hopefully I'll have a lot of time for exploring thanks for all the help!
    BTW used just Mapps type spinners that day.

Behind my wife across the river there is a path that comes from Swallow Falls Park. Popular area and people are coming down all day. I have a feeling you are going to have more of a hill on your side to get down to the river and may just want to use the path on the other side accessed at the bridge. This may be helpful.
    GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Still think if you want to use your yak you should consider the Savage River Reservoir. It's about 40 minutes from where you are. We covered the the Herrington Manor Lake pretty quickly in a canoe and really didn't do that well just some small trout.

Damn I'm about ready to pack up and go after getting involved in this thread.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking I should of planned on going camping at big run state park instead. The savage river reservoir looks awesome I think a 40 minute drive would be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by rkoconvulse View Post
        Yeah I was thinking I should of planned on going camping at big run state park instead. The savage river reservoir looks awesome I think a 40 minute drive would be worth it
        Don't get me wrong Swallow Falls is a wonderful area and I think you will really enjoy it. I love wading around and finding different holes to fish in. Yet if you do want to spend a day in the kayak I'd go with the Savage. It's off the beaten path and very quiet. Electric motors only, you will pretty much have it to yourself and don't have to worry about some nut taking you out. The drive there is nice, all back roads you turn off before you have to go back through Deep Creek. Take a couple of easy days enjoying the river and then a day or two of kayaking, you will be good. Forty minute drive up there is just a hop skip and a jump, the scale is a little different.

Deep Creek is much closer but I have no idea how kayak friendly it is. I always see way to much boat traffic for my liking. Maybe someone else can pipe in if there is some opportunities there but the Savage is more my style.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
          Don't get me wrong Swallow Falls is a wonderful area and I think you will really enjoy it. I love wading around and finding different holes to fish in. Yet if you do want to spend a day in the kayak I'd go with the Savage. It's off the beaten path and very quiet. Electric motors only, you will pretty much have it to yourself and don't have to worry about some nut taking you out. The drive there is nice, all back roads you turn off before you have to go back through Deep Creek. Take a couple of easy days enjoying the river and then a day or two of kayaking, you will be good. Forty minute drive up there is just a hop skip and a jump, the scale is a little different.

Deep Creek is much closer but I have no idea how kayak friendly it is. I always see way to much boat traffic for my liking. Maybe someone else can pipe in if there is some opportunities there but the Savage is more my style.
          Sounds great thanks again for your input I'm probably gonna spend a day or two hiking as well or playing in the river I've heard you can slide on the big rocks and stuff

Comment

Not sure about Herrington Manor. I've only trout fished and hiked in that area. There's awesome water in the whole general area to Kayak fish. In May, DCL boat traffic will still be very light. The little darlings don;t like to get their toes cold. Savage river resevoir is very scenic, doesn;t allow motorized craft. Stocked with bows. Bring binoculars, and a camera. Good birding area if you like birds. If you get tired of yakking, fish the trophy trout water in the Fly fishing only C and R section below the dam. You can float fish the yough immediately below the DCL dam. It's good water to the Sang Run rd bridge. There are warm water starain rainbows, browns, and some smallies mixed in. Don't go farther unless your into White Water rafting.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
              Not sure about Herrington Manor. I've only trout fished and hiked in that area. There's awesome water in the whole general area to Kayak fish. In May, DCL boat traffic will still be very light. The little darlings don;t like to get their toes cold. Savage river resevoir is very scenic, doesn;t allow motorized craft. Stocked with bows. Bring binoculars, and a camera. Good birding area if you like birds. If you get tired of yakking, fish the trophy trout water in the Fly fishing only C and R section below the dam. You can float fish the yough immediately below the DCL dam. It's good water to the Sang Run rd bridge. There are warm water starain rainbows, browns, and some smallies mixed in. Don't go farther unless your into White Water rafting.

Could you elaborate on the section of the yough that you can float below the DCL dam. I didn't even think the yough ran off of DCL. In the Google Earth Image below I highlighted what looks like a tributary of the yough that appears to may or may not actually run all the way into the yough proper. Is that what you mention or am I way off base and am just missing something?

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Comment

I stayed in one of them Cabins at the Herrington Manor. Fished both Herrington Lake and Deep Creek. Liked the peace and quiet of the Cabins. No cellular reception there, except for Verizon maybe. Herrington Lake was a little tough to fish for me, but it's probably just me. I am not a bass fisherman. The place gets crowded on the weekends, because they made a sandy beach for kids to swim. So don't try to shore-fish on a weekend. Deep Creek lake was a little bigger in size, but again very crowded in the summer time.
                “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                  Could you elaborate on the section of the yough that you can float below the DCL dam. I didn't even think the yough ran off of DCL. In the Google Earth Image below I highlighted what looks like a tributary of the yough that appears to may or may not actually run all the way into the yough proper. Is that what you mention or am I way off base and am just missing something?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15050[/ATTACH]
                  DonV - The Deep Creek Lake Dam spans a stream called Deep Creek that flows to the Yough. The good section of the Yough to kayak/fish starts at the generation station located where Hoyes Run Road meets the Yough. The take-out is located at the Sang Run Road Crossing of the Yough. This is a long float through several miles of relatively mild water compared to the rest of the river. But still, this section of the Yough flows through a very remote and very rugged valley. If something goes terrible wrong then you are in very deep doo... and don't do this area solo. BTW, the generation station at Hoyes Run is located about 1 mile downstream of the confluence of Deep Creek with the Yough.

Also, the water released during generation complicates scheduling of a float trip considerably.

When you zoom-in as close as possible to the Yough using Google maps (satellite) you can easily see the rapids and boulders located in the Swallows Falls area and elsewhere.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                    DonV - The Deep Creek Lake Dam spans a stream called Deep Creek that flows to the Yough. The good section of the Yough to kayak/fish starts at the generation station located where Hoyes Run Road meets the Yough. The take-out is located at the Sang Run Road Crossing of the Yough. This is a long float through several miles of relatively mild water compared to the rest of the river. But still, this section of the Yough flows through a very remote and very rugged valley. If something goes terrible wrong then you are in very deep doo... and don't do this area solo. BTW, the generation station at Hoyes Run is located about 1 mile downstream of the confluence of Deep Creek with the Yough.

Also, the water released during generation complicates scheduling of a float trip considerably.

When you zoom-in as close as possible to the Yough using Google maps (satellite) you can easily see the rapids and boulders located in the Swallows Falls area and elsewhere.
                    Thanks? Think I got it. See below.
                    Greatly appreciate you taking your time to fill me in on more information.

Can you park at the station to launch?

GoogleEarth_Image (1).jpg

The
                    water released during generation complicates scheduling
                    makes me a little nervous. Hows it effect that section of the river? I've seen the stretch at Sang Run and it looked very suitable for a fishing kayak and from the best I can tell the rest of the section looks about the same. Does a water release really effect it enough to make it dangerous? or just screw up the fishing?

Comment

Last time I was at the generating station was well over a decade ago. There was a small parking lot for fishermen. There is also a lot of shore fishing but chesthigh boots are absolutely needed. A trail leads well downriver. The small road that leads upriver to the station may be gated. Too much time has passed since I was there so I shouldn't say any more... things change over time. I only floated this section from the station down to Sang Run once and that was in a high quality 4 man raft. During generation are the river jumps up about 2' so there's lots more water but it is still fishable. We caught fish but you did have to watch the river closely as you floated.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                        Last time I was at the generating station was well over a decade ago. There was a small parking lot for fishermen. There is also a lot of shore fishing but chesthigh boots are absolutely needed. A trail leads well downriver. The small road that leads upriver to the station may be gated. Too much time has passed since I was there so I shouldn't say any more... things change over time. I only floated this section from the station down to Sang Run once and that was in a high quality 4 man raft. During generation are the river jumps up about 2' so there's lots more water but it is still fishable. We caught fish but you did have to watch the river closely as you floated.
                        Thanks again I appreciate your advice and also caution in giving advice. Does give me something to think about and another option to consider and possibly plan. If I can return the favor let me know.

BTW love this place I always end up learning something.

Comment

Don't waste your time fishing Herrington Manor. I've been out there a few times on the bank and off a rented canoe. Never even got a bite and the lake is very shallow. Like others have said, there are plenty of other good waters around.

Comment

Working...
                          X