Herrington Manor lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herrington Manor lake

So I'm going camping at swallow falls late May and have been looking around on Google for good kayaking/fishing and it looks like herrington manor lake is gonna be my best bet I was wondering if anyone on here knows what kinda fish I should be expecting I'm assuming there will be bass

Why not try Deep Creek Lake?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Why not try Deep Creek Lake?
      Oh good one lol I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I just settled with herrington manor because it's like 9 miles from where I'm camping

Comment

Try the Youghegheny River too. It's about two minutes away from Harrington Manor Lake on the same road as the entrance. Park by the bridge and there are some great rainbow trout and small mouth to be had.
        Native Slayer 12

Comment

Originally posted by ngallag13 View Post
          Try the Youghegheny River too. It's about two minutes away from Harrington Manor Lake on the same road as the entrance. Park by the bridge and there are some great rainbow trout and small mouth to be had.
          Oh awesome I couldn't find any places there either it seemed like it was mostly rapids and stuff

Comment

Where at exactly? Like east west south

Comment

I have only waded in the Yough. There are plenty of kayakers but I haven't seen fishing boats. Unless you like a couple drops during your day on the water!
              Native Slayer 12

Comment

If you are exiting Herrington Manor Park, turn left. Drive about 2 miles and you will see a tiny, one lane bridge, with a little parking spot nearby. Both above and below the bridge are awesome and I've seen and caught good size rainbows. Rocks are slippery though
                Native Slayer 12

Comment

If you are exiting Herrington Manor Park, turn left. Drive about 2 miles and you will see a tiny, one lane bridge, with a little parking spot nearby. Both above and below the bridge are awesome and I've seen and caught good size rainbows. Rocks are slippery though
                  Okay cool thanks a lot man!

Comment

I'm in google maps and it looks like the road crosses over herrington run but it's not a single lane bridge

Comment

You can fish the Yough from the bank with hip or chesthigh boots. I would strongly suggest not kayaking the Yough unless you do a lot of research first or go with someone else who knows the river well. Many sections of the Yough have deadly rough rapids and falls several feet.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Ooops you're right. If you turn left out of Herrington Park, keep going down Herrington Manor Rd and then stay right onto Swallow Falls Rd. That will have the bridge that crosses the Yough. There will be a DNR board in the small parking lot along with obvious trail heads going up and down the river. You cannot miss it because you won't wanna drive across the tiny bridge without caution as two cars cannot fit.
                        Native Slayer 12

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                          You can fish the Yough from the bank with hip or chesthigh boots. I would strongly suggest not kayaking the Yough unless you do a lot of research first or go with someone else who knows the river well. Many sections of the Yough have deadly rough rapids and falls several feet.
                          Yeah that's what I thought it was a real rough river ill probably just put in at deep creek or herrington lake

Comment

Originally posted by rkoconvulse View Post
                            Oh awesome I couldn't find any places there either it seemed like it was mostly rapids and stuff
                            The Youghegheny River is RAPIDS AND STUFF!. DO NOT TAKE YOUR KAYAK IN THERE!
                            2003-07-28-040133 Swallow Falls.jpg

I second the Youghegheny River for shore fishing though. Swallow Falls Park is right on it, you can hike down to fish. I have always fished from the other bank that has a nice easy path, as others have said make a left out of the park cross the bridge and park. Just walk down the path and you will find plenty of areas to shore fish or wade. I don't know if a similar path is on the park side.

Had a couple of really wonderful days there and other times not so much luck. Which gives me a great opportunity to be helpful showing you pictures of my nice fish. They were caught just about right where swallow falls comes into the river or maybe a bit above. It's a big pool below a fall where many swim, dive off the rocks and sunbathe. Had one really spectacular day there and have also got skunked a lot on other days. Our first trip which was really good we could count on the bite starting right at 3PM for days in row. Some later trips we couldn't catch a cold.

2003-07-31-034726 Swallow Falls.jpg 2003-08-01-030231 Swallow Falls.jpg

Caught some trout in Herrington Manor Lake, just using split shot with night crawlers.

You are not to far from New Germany State Park which also has a lake, I never have fished there and can give no advice

Savage River Reservoir is a little bit more of a drive but I have heard the bass fishing can be good but have never kayaked there yet. It is really beautiful secluded area and a large reservoir and I think you would find it worth the drive. Herrington Lake is kind of small. You can also wade the shallow Savage River for trout.
                            2008-06-21-155013.jpg

I'm envious really love that part of the state. Have fun and explore around.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                              The Youghegheny River is RAPIDS AND STUFF!. DO NOT TAKE YOUR KAYAK IN THERE!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]15021[/ATTACH]

I second the Youghegheny River for shore fishing though. Swallow Falls Park is right on it, you can hike down to fish. I have always fished from the other bank that has a nice easy path, as others have said make a left out of the park cross the bridge and park. Just walk down the path and you will find plenty of areas to shore fish or wade. I don't know if a similar path is on the park side.

Had a couple of really wonderful days there and other times not so much luck. Which gives me a great opportunity to be helpful showing you pictures of my nice fish. They were caught just about right where swallow falls comes into the river or maybe a bit above. It's a big pool below a fall where many swim, dive off the rocks and sunbathe. Had one really spectacular day there and have also got skunked a lot on other days. Our first trip which was really good we could count on the bite starting right at 3PM for days in row. Some later trips we couldn't catch a cold.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15022[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15023[/ATTACH]

Caught some trout in Herrington Manor Lake, just using split shot with night crawlers.

You are not to far from New Germany State Park which also has a lake, I never have fished there and can give no advice

Savage River Reservoir is a little bit more of a drive but I have heard the bass fishing can be good but have never kayaked there yet. It is really beautiful secluded area and a large reservoir and I think you would find it worth the drive. Herrington Lake is kind of small. You can also wade the shallow Savage River for trout.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]15024[/ATTACH]

I'm envious really love that part of the state. Have fun and explore around.
                              Wow those are some nice fish ill only be out there for 4 days but hopefully I'll have a lot of time for exploring thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X