Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Interested in Extreme Kayak Fishing in July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The size limit is interesting. I understand they have to fit the boats on the mothership, but typical kayaks that are designed for offshore tend to be longer than 12'6".

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
      The size limit is interesting. I understand they have to fit the boats on the mothership, but typical kayaks that are designed for offshore tend to be longer than 12'6".
      I agree, but fortunately my kayak is exactly 12'6
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I never did an extreme offshore mothership trip, but I did an inshore mothership trip last April with three other guys. It was the captain's first attempt to carry kayaks, gear, and anglers to a barrier island. The experience left some things to be desired. The boat was a large open skiff with no racks for the kayaks. The kayak hulls got some scratches from the loading and bouncing. We anticipated that at the end of the trip, the boat would come to a beach where we could stand up to load our gear and kayaks on board in a slow, deliberate fashion. As a result of stronger winds than predicted, the boat was unable to get into real shallow water and was bounced around by waves while we attempted to load. We had to load up while standing in water more than waist deep. One member of our group lost an expensive piece of gear during the loading process as a result of the confusion and deeper water than we had planned for.

I personally have difficulty getting into and out of a kayak when not being able to stand up in shallow water. I had a difficult time climbing back into the boat after the kayaks were stowed. Had the fishing been good that day, we all would have overlooked some inconveniences. But without a bite among us, it was a frustrating day that did not work out as we had anticipated.

I bring this up not to cast any cloud over the offshore trips described in this thread. But before you sign up and go, make sure you are in condition to get on and off the mothership and into the kayak while floating in deep water. It would pay to research how the captain will load, stow, and unload you, the kayaks, and your gear. If you choose to go, it could be a wonderful experience.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If I can't take my revo I'm out! I sent an email to chris last night asking for answers to some of these questions (has the captain done this before, whats the plan for unloading at sea, etc) but havent heard back yet
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
            If I can't take my revo I'm out! I sent an email to chris last night asking for answers to some of these questions (has the captain done this before, whats the plan for unloading at sea, etc) but havent heard back yet
            Keep us posted.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              Thanks Buzz. Kayaks up to 12' 6", so it's actually opposite of what was posted for size.
              My bad, I must have read it wrong. Odd though, not many of us use kayaks much shorter than that...

Not sure of experience of the Captain with kayaks, give him a call - Fish Whisperer Charters, I believe his name is Rodney. Then again, DPS may want you to go through them for questions/concerns.
              Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

I'd imagine it has to do with the size of the mothership. Outbacks are 12' 1", so those of us with one of those are G2G. I saw a post/reply on the FB that longer kayaks need to be cleared by the Capt, or something...so they aren't ruled out completely.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I was going to sign up tonight for that trip but with a Moken 14 (14' 8").. I don't think I qualify. Keep the info coming, especially if they lift the length restriction. .I am totally in for something like this.
                  People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Thanks Buzz. Kayaks up to 12' 6", so it's actually opposite of what was posted for size.
                    Interesting, I was told my 14' Cuda is fine.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                      Interesting, I was told my 14' Cuda is fine.
                      Yeah, I don't know what criteria they are using for the limitation(s) on what hulls can be brought. Almost seems like they are making sure folks don't show up with a canoe.

Edit add: or maybe they really intended to have a minimum size of 12'6", which would restrict my Hobie..and I think it would be fine on the open ocean for this kind of trip.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Will be contacting DPS tomorrow for more info, stay tuned.
                        Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

maybe I'm showing my age but this seems like a questionable activity. imagine all the stuff that could go wrong if you hook a 250lb tuna in a 12'6" kayak in the deep ocean - a trivial issue like getting a line wrapped around you or boat could be deadly. what about a big shark? scratching your yak is the least of your concerns.

Comment

That's why it's called Extreme 😊
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Yeah, I don't know what criteria they are using for the limitation(s) on what hulls can be brought. Almost seems like they are making sure folks don't show up with a canoe.

Edit add: or maybe they really intended to have a minimum size of 12'6", which would restrict my Hobie..and I think it would be fine on the open ocean for this kind of trip.
                              DPS told me than can handle 14 footers but with 6 peeps fishing plus a guide... that's 7 yaks and 9 people (including capt & mate). So I can understand the restriction.
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

DPS stated on the FB page that 13 & 14 ft boats are OK. The longer boats needs to be on the bottom of the stack.
                                Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                                X