Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Interested in Extreme Kayak Fishing in July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet pics, thanks! lessons will always be learned how were you guys fishing? any shark encounters?
    sigpic

Comment

Chunking butterfish on light line and leader. I was using a Stradic 5000 on a 7' MH Teramar with 30 lb powerpro and 10 feet of 30 lb flouro to a 4/0 gamakatsu live bait hook. Had a couple other runs but failed to hook up because the fish were running under me when I set the hook. No shark encounters but we did see a giant loggerhead and I saw a massive, massive school of bluefish swimming leisurely in the blue water below me. Was hoping to see massive schools of tuna like that but it wasn't meant to be. I know I caught my tuna only after feeding out half the line on my spool so I think they were running pretty deep.
      Last edited by Romo; 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM.
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I can't wait for next Tuesday! Still two slots open for anybody that wants to go.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Since the July 14 trip was canceled due to rough seas, I decided to throw in the towel for this year. Well, I've been known to be wrong and will try it again on August 11. Pray for calm seas. Need to work on my bucket list.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'd be interested in going let me know when the next trip is and availability. I was down in Hatteras for a week in April and met a guide who takes trips out of there doing this same thing and it is something I'd like to do.
            Drive it like you stole it!
            2011 Hobie PA 14

Comment

Guys,
              I just found this thread and wanted to say Hi and I can hopefully answer any future questions you all may have about these trips. We were pretty happy with the first trip, but really want to stress having everything tied down on the kayaks like Hobie seats, mirage drives etc. We also are trying to really concentrate on safety with these trips so Freddie any feedback is much appreciated!!

We have 2 spots open for next tuesday the 28th!

Full info again:

Offshore Tuna: Mothership, aboard Captain Rodney Jones of Fish Whisper charters the Wreckaholic out of Indian River. Kayak anglers that have a kayak up to 12'6" in length are welcome to bring along. If a kayak is needed DPS will provide.
              6 persons at $380 per person
              Charter leaves 6am and returns 6pm (Fishing time approximately 6hrs.
              Includes transport, deck hand, guide, bait and rod if needed. Gratuity to the Mate is kindly excepted.
              Trips remaining - 28th. August 4th,11th

Feel free to text my cell phone or respond here with any questions.
              Brian 302-249-1695
              http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com

Comment

We got 6 for next Tuesday! It's a go pending the waves. I think they will take up to 8 if anybody else wants to join
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Buying a house this month so no chance for me but I plan on doing this next year.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

second trip aboard the mother ship set sail early this morning.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Guys,
                      Here is the edit i did from trip number 1. Hope u enjoy!!

https://vimeo.com/134691172
                      Thanks Brian
                      Delaware Paddlesports

Comment

Trip #2 was fairly successful. We came back to the dock with 4 mahi and 1 nice tuna. More importantly there were zero incidents and everyone came home with what they left with, I guess quite a bit of expensive gear ended up at the bottom of the ocean from the first outing as a result of two turtles. The action started out very slow at 6:30 am, then picked up around 8-9 I believe. Another kayaker started off with what turned out to be the largest mahi of the day, I'm guessing 15 lbs, and I hooked up with my only fish for the day soon thereafter, about a 2 lb mahi. Then it was more slow going pretty much all day until around 1-2 pm when Rory hooked into the only tuna. We weighed it at the dock, 25 lbs of beautiful yellowfin, yum! Soon thereafter we had all had enough and started loading the boats. As one last gift from the ocean a nice bull mahi started circling the boat and the skipper was able to hookup. He passed the rod over to a kayaker that had no action all day and was gaffed after an exciting 15-20 min battle around the boat. We also had another good hookup while loading the boats which was probably another tuna, but came off a few mins into the battle. All in all it was a good trip and my first experience of this type. The fish were there, but just not feeding. Reports from other captains were less successful than ours, so I think we did about as good as we could have given the conditions. Chris at DPS should have some good videos of the trip and be posting here soon. I highly recommend you guys give these trips a try, they are tons of fun and the only way they keep happening is if people go. There should be some inshore wreck trips available too, so if offshore isn't your thing I would consider one of those.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Delaware Paddlesports View Post
                          Guys,
                          Here is the edit i did from trip number 1. Hope u enjoy!!
                          Excellent video. Looks like a blast!
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Delaware Paddlesports View Post
                            Guys,
                            I just found this thread and wanted to say Hi and I can hopefully answer any future questions you all may have about these trips. We were pretty happy with the first trip, but really want to stress having everything tied down on the kayaks like Hobie seats, mirage drives etc. We also are trying to really concentrate on safety with these trips so Freddie any feedback is much appreciated!!

We have 2 spots open for next tuesday the 28th!

Full info again:

Offshore Tuna: Mothership, aboard Captain Rodney Jones of Fish Whisper charters the Wreckaholic out of Indian River. Kayak anglers that have a kayak up to 12'6" in length are welcome to bring along. If a kayak is needed DPS will provide.
                            6 persons at $380 per person
                            Charter leaves 6am and returns 6pm (Fishing time approximately 6hrs.
                            Includes transport, deck hand, guide, bait and rod if needed. Gratuity to the Mate is kindly excepted.
                            Trips remaining - 28th. August 4th,11th

Feel free to text my cell phone or respond here with any questions.
                            Brian 302-249-1695
                            http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com
                            Brian, just read this, not sure if your asking me or another Freddie, I have not been yak fishing for very long, but am an advocate of safety for the yaker, their tackle and accessories.
                            test your setups in shallow water before entering the deep, practice re-entry, test tie downs, make sure your vest is not too loose, and most importantly, make sure and ever thing you plan on taking is leashed. I practice turtling and have found what I thought to be secure tie downs to be deficient. Test the leashes, what happens if you turtle from a large fish and it is still on the rod and leash fails. So my best suggestion is test your setup prior to heading to the deep blue.
                            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Freddie T, sorry i thought your were the Fred that went on trip number one. My bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X