• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    PVC rocket launcher.

I like those but want rods more forward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
      for gear tracs i would use the yak attack brand as they are made with aluminum for a much sturdier setup. you can also purchase backing plates if you think you need the extra security

http://www.yakattack.us/category_s/1882.htm
      Much nicer and expensive but to lose a rod and rig it's seems worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarfish View Post
        I like your set up! Are these these tracks you mentioned?

Scotty PVC Track, 48-Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5E43VI..._Ovncvb1NS6CZA
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5E43VI..._Ovncvb1NS6CZA

Would they hold a 18 or 20 oz umbrella or tandem plus fish? Or do u use the through hull in back to troll?

My Native kayaks come with gear tracks already installed. I do not troll heavy rods, large swimming plugs, or umbrella style lures. The rod holders in the front mounted on the gear track head mounts might twist excessively under those conditions. I troll med-light to medium spinning rods with soft plastics on 1/2-oz to 1.5-oz jigheads. There is enough flexing in my rods that allows the force to be handled primarily by the rods and not the rod holders.

Yak Fish (Alan Battista) wrote a detailed book on kayak trolling -- he often uses heavier rods and lures than I do -- and he catches plenty of very large fish. You should check out his rod holder setup if you plan to troll heavier equipment.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          My Native kayaks come with gear tracks already installed. I do not troll heavy rods, large swimming plugs, or umbrella style lures. The rod holders in the front mounted on the gear track head mounts might twist excessively under those conditions. I troll med-light to medium spinning rods with soft plastics on 1/2-oz to 1.5-oz jigheads. There is enough flexing in my rods that allows the force to be handled primarily by the rods and not the rod holders.

Yak Fish (Alan Battista) wrote a detailed book on kayak trolling -- he often uses heavier rods and lures than I do -- and he catches plenty of very large fish. You should check out his rod holder setup if you plan to troll heavier equipment.
          Thanks for all the help. I will check it out.

Comment

Yak Fish uses Scotty mounts and rod holders and I think they are on gear tracks. Scotty mounts use 2 t bolts to make it very secure. They will not move regardless of the fish. The gear tracks are sturdier than the ones built in to the different kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
              Hey CP is that a new beer flag for 2015. love the red paint on the launchers.
              Hold over from 2014.
              I like those but want rods more forward
              If you have in hull or flush mount rod holders up front you could still use a PVC set up, would just have to figure out a layout that does what you want. Limitless possibilities.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Good point. I'll have to play with it look at some layout possibilities

Comment

you can also purchase backing plates if you think you need the extra security
                  I put backing plates on everything I bolt to my kayak.
                  Each one is custom cut from a cheap Walmart poly cutting board. One $8 cutting board can make a lot of backing plates.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                    I put backing plates on everything I bolt to my kayak.
                    Each one is custom cut from a cheap Walmart poly cutting board. One $8 cutting board can make a lot of backing plates.
                    Those white kind what a great idea. what kind of gear track system do you like? I looked at the ones on yakattack the GT90s and I want 2 16" sections, but they're expensive going to cost me like 60 bucks shipped.

Comment

Sorry, can't help you there.
                      I don't have any gear tracks............ yet.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Those white kind what a great idea. what kind of gear track system do you like? I looked at the ones on yakattack the GT90s and I want 2 16" sections, but they're expensive going to cost me like 60 bucks shipped.
                        If you order them from ACK.com they usually have at least a 10% coupon. If you are patient sometimes the send out 15% or 20%. Sign up for their emails.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Those are the ones I bought. You could definitely get away with shorter ones, but the 16" give you plenty of flexibility to move the rod far for trolling or near for sitting with bait, plus give you the room for additional things to mount.

I would stay away from the plastic ones for trolling. Dick's sells the Scotty ones and they are way too flimsy.

I didn't bother with a backing plate for mine because I had so many screws with fender washers (another benefit of having the 16", way more points to bite down).
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                            Those are the ones I bought. You could definitely get away with shorter ones, but the 16" give you plenty of flexibility to move the rod far for trolling or near for sitting with bait, plus give you the room for additional things to mount.

I would stay away from the plastic ones for trolling. Dick's sells the Scotty ones and they are way too flimsy.

I didn't bother with a backing plate for mine because I had so many screws with fender washers (another benefit of having the 16", way more points to bite down).
                            I appreciate feedback. I'm leaning this way too.

Comment

so i noticed that you can also purchase a harmony slidetrax mounting plate that lets you use it on a gear trac and still use the scotty base on top of that instead of having to purchase a gear head track adapter. is this just a personal preference thing? or is one method more secure than the other?

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ing-Plate.html
                              Michael
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

so i noticed that you can also purchase a harmony slidetrax mounting plate that lets you use it on a gear trac and still use the scotty base on top of that instead of having to purchase a gear head track adapter. is this just a personal preference thing? or is one method more secure than the other?

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ing-Plate.html
                                I think it's personal preference. I went with the mounting plate/base plate approach on my Tarpon. However, I made my own base plates from a cheap plastic cutting board rather than shelling out $25 each for the harmony ones.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                                X