Temp reading problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp reading problem

Have a humminbird 385ci that came with the stealth 14. The transducer was mounted inside the hull. Was never able to get an accurate reading which was to be expected. The temps would slowly climb up to abt 145 degs. Last weekend i removed and cleaned the transducer and mounted on the side and in the water. To my dismay, the reading is still not working right. It will still slowly climb up to 145 degs. I ran a diagnosis test and all is connected and working. Has anyone experience this problem? I really dont want to spend thhe money for a new one. I googled it up and cant find any postings relating to my issue.

Help!!!
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Have never heard of that before. Two questions

1. on your transducer, do you have a little silver round button on the bottom of the puck? (that is the temperature sensor)
    2. your model has a "temperature offset" feature in the menu, did you check that to make sure it does not have some odd setting?

in case you did not have a users manual for that unit you can download one here:

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/S...nuals/?q=385ci
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply dave

Yes the puck has the silver button. I cleaned the puck thoughly. The ff was abe to detect the puck and say ths sonar and temp is connected. The temp offset setting only allows u ten degs each way. Problem with mine it climbs 1 deg every 30 secs or so. So after 30 mins, temps will read 145 degs. Been doing that ever since it was mounted inside hull. I ingnired it as first cuz i know u cant get an accurate reading when mounted inside. Now outside in water still show same results.
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Sorry you are having troubles with the temp sensor. An inexpensive alternative (albeit less convenient) is to buy a handheld thermometer that you can either dip in the water periodically or hang off the side by a string. I have thought about doing that myself but never got around to buying one.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

After my previous post, I looked online to see what type of water thermometers were available and how much they cost. There are handheld analog and digital units. You can also get inexpensive digital thermometers with probes at the end of a cable. Just as an example (Note: I am not recommending this particular model -- it is shown here solely as an example) look at this unit http://www.zoro.com/i/G1568147/?utm_...S2RBoCXXXw_wcB.

You get a 10-ft cable with a thermoprobe on the end. You could let the cable trail behind your kayak to get continuous surface temps or you could lower put some weight on the thermoprobe and lower it to selected depths as deep as 10 ft. Admittedly it is one more gadget to carry with you, but it may be an inexpensive and flexible solution for determining water temp if that is important to you.
          Last edited by J.A. Veil; 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a spare Humminbird transducer (from a Humminbird 535 not in use). While it is not the correct transducer for my 346ci DI unit (it is not a DI transducer) it does work with the 346ci DI and gives an accurate water temperature (just tested it). If you are interested I could ship it off to you to test your 385ci. If you get an accurate water temperature then you know the problem is with the transducer and not the head unit. If you have the 385ci (and not the 385ci DI model) then this transducer might be an exact match for that unit.

If interested PM an address and I will ship it off via UPS tomorrow from my office.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I have a lowrance Elite 4 thru hull and it's temp has always been wacky.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Runnin, it does not work well thru hull for water temp reAding. Transducer Needs contact with water. If not is reading temp inside the hull.

Comment

Yeah but even when it's warm outside it sometimes reads 32 degrees and I know it isn;t 32 inside the belly of the yak.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Just how valid/useful is a FF temperature anyway?

Does a wet-mount transducer measure the surface temperature or is it able to read thermocline temperatures?

I carry a small thermometer in my fly fishing vest. I can reasonably assume that reading is fairly accurate in a waste-deep water column where I am wading.

But in deeper waters surface temperatures can be misleading, can't they?
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Just how valid/useful is a FF temperature anyway?

Does a wet-mount transducer measure the surface temperature or is it able to read thermocline temperatures?

I carry a small thermometer in my fly fishing vest. I can reasonably assume that reading is fairly accurate in a waste-deep water column where I am wading.

But in deeper waters surface temperatures can be misleading, can't they?
                      I carry a small two dollar thermometer for surface water temp.
                      It is impossible to know the temp below 10'. To me, Surface temp is a good indicator of the deep under water. The summer water below from 10'-20' is a lot colder than the top water (where togtogs are in CBBT and CHSp). In winter I assume the water below 30' is warmer than surface by 3-4 degrees.

Regardless, I think the sensor or his FF is broken.

joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                      X