Need Advice for a Roadtrip to Florida to Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice for a Roadtrip to Florida to Fish

My sister and I want to head out to Florida this coming week to fish. I've read the posts about Tampa but was thinking of Jacksonville because it is closer. Maryland to Tampa is 14 hours, Jacksonville only 10. Can anyone give advice on a place to fish and lodging? We are bringing our own kayaks and gear and our plan is to fish for three days. A guided tour would be good too.
    Thank you!
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

When we go back I think we will stay on Sanabel. Looks like there is plenty of places to fish. Since its an island I think you would find a spot on one side or the other to get out of the wind.

Might want to ping Mike O. He did ok in that area.
    Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
    Parker 2320

Comment

Peggy there is a web site with a lot of info on that area. jaxkayakfishing.com

Comment

I'd skip Jax and go the extra miles to Mosquito Lagoon near Cape Canaveral. They even have an area set aside for unpowered watercraft. It's shallow water fishing for reds and specks that is nothing short of spectacular. There are a lot of guides down there.

Comment

Peggy -

I don't have first hand knowledge of fishing the northeast coast of Florida. One of the Native endorsed guides is a successful female angler named Dee Kaminski. I have never met her but have exchanged emails and some posts. She fishes out of Indian and Banana Rivers, the Sebastian Inlet Area, Mosquito Lagoon, Ft. Pierce Area, and would be a great contact for you, whether you chartered with her or just picked her brain. These areas are farther south than Jacksonville. If you want to end up in Jacksonville, she may be able to put you in contact with a local guide or website.

http://www.reelkayakfishing.com/
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Peggy,

They have cobra SH down there too. I don't know any kayak guide but I watch a lot of Capt Shane YouTube video. Cobra SH is quite pretty imo

Comment

All this advice and links have helped me tremendously. Thank you all! I think we will check out the Mosquito Lagoon, but I am still open to suggestions/advice. And SH, I'm glad you told me about the snakeheads down there. I will bring my frogs.
              Last edited by Pc4sun; 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM.
              Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Its probably a little further than you want to go but I have to give my vote for West Palm Beach and areas south. The deep water is only 1 or 2 miles from the beach and you can jig wrecks or have the chance at sailfish and kingfish. If you've never done the deep water speed jigging I can't recommend it enough. Really, its an unbelievable fishery if you have the chance. The only downside is that coordinates and a fishfinder/gps are mandatory. Luckily, every tackle shop has books with wreck coordinates. If I can find one of mine I'll PM you and send it to you USPS.
                www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Has anyone fished Destin? Word has it that it a great place to kayak fish.
                  Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
                  Parker 2320

Comment

I have kayak fished Mosquito Lagoon before- it can be like any where else in Florida- hot or cold depending on weather conditions- the wind blew for a solid week when I was there- hard to see anything with muddy waters- blind casting is not the way you want to fish Mosquito Lagoon- caught a few speckled trout and some short reds, but I would go back in a heart beat- on the way back in to the launch I spooked some really nice bull reds-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
                      Its probably a little further than you want to go but I have to give my vote for West Palm Beach and areas south. The deep water is only 1 or 2 miles from the beach and you can jig wrecks or have the chance at sailfish and kingfish. If you've never done the deep water speed jigging I can't recommend it enough. Really, its an unbelievable fishery if you have the chance. The only downside is that coordinates and a fishfinder/gps are mandatory. Luckily, every tackle shop has books with wreck coordinates. If I can find one of mine I'll PM you and send it to you USPS.
                      This sounds like a fabulous adventure, though one I would not undertake unless I was will someone who knew what they are doing �� . I will add your experience to my bucket list. Thank you!
                      Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

From the reports trout action is hot in Jacksonville now with a few red drum mixed in.

Comment

I was down there visiting my mom 2 weeks ago. Capt Eric Greenstein: http://www.fishtomoka.com/ South of Jacksonville, Daytona area. He used to do the kayak thing which first attracted me to him as a guide. But, he has a nice boat to cover more ground so... a few redfish, a small tarpon, couple trout, mangrove snapper and a personal best black drum that was... Delicious!

IMG_0078.jpg
                          Last edited by jffoley; 03-16-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the continued advice. I think we are changing route and heading for the gulf to Crystal River area. A friend said the water is more clear and it is warmer. Not as far as Tampa, and less boat traffic.
                            Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

+1 on choice to hit Crystal River.

Kings Bay is great. Reds should be turning on now with warmer temps. May be a little late for Manatee sightings, but they hang out "en masse" at 3 Sisters Springs in Crystal River, and The Halls River just to the south.

Couple of good side trips.

Chassohowitzka River is excellent just to south in Homosassa. Start at Spring and paddle to sawgrass marsh. Bass and Bluegill upstream , and reds / Trout downstream. Beautiful scenery and birds all over the place.

Rainbow Springs State Park and Withlacoochee river are awesome fresh water float trips inland near Dunellon. Bass fishing and Shellcrackers. Bring snorkel gear for Rainbow Springs. It's fabulous.

Places to eat / Drink.

Charlies Fish House is good.

To the South

Charlie Browns in Homosassa. They have an island in the river that has pet monkeys to watch. They also have Maryland style Crabs. It's right next to McRaes Marina.
                              Stop at "The Freezer" for a beer. It's an old drive in commercial seafood freezer some guy converted into a bar. It's just past McRea's.

Have fun , I'm Jealous!
                              Hurricane Skimmer 128
                              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                              X