Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buzz View Post
    Exactly.

This move is primarily focused on the crazy recreational boater that has more dollars than sense. Commercial watermen should be exempt. These guys have a tough enough time making a living already. This hitch pretty much blows the spring C&R season for the northern part of the Bay.
    ......... And there aren't any crazy commercial watermen ......... One of the times the bay froze over several of them had to be rescued because they couldn't get back to the docks ....... The story was on the Sunpapers and the Post 30+ years ago

Comment

Includes tribs north of the bb.
      Severn, south, west rivers are south of bb.
      But noticed today, many of the coves on the severn had significant amount of ice.
      Be careful.
      <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
      Capt. Frank Tuma
      www.DownTimeCharters.com
      Native Slayer Propel

Comment

It says they can end it early if conditions improve. Probably over did it on purpose with the thought of ending it when they can as opposed to closing it for a shorter time and having to extend it if conditions don't improve.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I guess I should have checked before going out today. I might have stayed on land had I known I was doing something wrong. You'd think this would have been on the news or would have been posted at the launch? Well, in any case I saw neither the coast guard or ANY ice for that matter. Plenty of other boats out (although it did seem odd no one was fishing come to think of it) Only 2 fish to show for my efforts
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ill make my own decisions on my safety its another thing the goverment needs to stay out of.
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
              Ill make my own decisions on my safety its another thing the goverment needs to stay out of.
              While I agree with you, it's also the government (and my tax dollars) who has to save the idiot who hits a chunk of ice at 40 mph and capsizes his boat.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

To be clear I would no take a power boat out in the ice the chance of hitting sumerged ice is to high and a dummy that does that should pay for there own rescue but I'm not gonna bust my kayak hull going at paddle speed but since I don't have a dry suit I haven't been out anyway
                D Hawk
                Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

To be clear I would no take a power boat out in the ice the chance of hitting sumerged ice is to high and a dummy that does that should pay for there own rescue but I'm not gonna bust my kayak hull going at paddle speed but since I don't have a dry suit I haven't been out anyway
                  ........ Then it's Not for you but the idiot that would do it risking lives and costing tax dollars in attempted rescue. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I know a bunch of guys that condemn government when they take precaution and when they didn't

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                    Nice catch jhoss!
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Will you also reimburse the taxpayers when a rescue is necessary?

I now see a few others have addressed this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                        The Coast Guard has sucked ever since they were absorbed into Homeland Security.
                        This action is over-the-top.

What about the watermen? It seems every year the powers-that-be do something to make life more difficult for the little guy.
                        Would you please elaborate? What is the Coast Guard doing differently under DHS in relation to waterway closures for safety reasons?

Comment

Part of the reason was a waterman, he went out to dredge Oysters in a wooden boat and the ice flow crushed the side of his hull sinking his vessel, North of the Bay Bridge on the Eastern Shore side. There was no loss of life but this was part of what triggered the restriction.

Comment

i heard the restriction has been lifted for the eintire bay
                            any one else hear this?

i read all ice reports for the Chesapeake bay and DE river and it reports no ice anywhere
                            Zach Moore
                            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                            Bait Towel Pro Staff
                            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Hadn't heard that. I was on the Severn today, however, and the water was great. Launched at Jonas Green. I did see prohibited area buoys under the 450 bridge though. I mainly went out to test my new trolling motor setup; no fishing really.

Comment

It's officially open all around the bay
                                Zach Moore
                                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                                X