Read this-if you're thinking of going fishing in the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this-if you're thinking of going fishing in the cold

An interesting article on cold water shock...what happens if you go over in the cold

https://paddlemehard.com/?p=1902
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

fatal error, won't open.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
      fatal error.
      I think that is the point of the article.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Cold water shock is a killer for sure. I would say the use of sit on top kayaks might help since you are not one with the kayak in a roll over situation and if you are wearing your PFD your head should be above the water line before you take to many gasps of air/water. Cold water shock can affect your whole body making it hard to re-enter the kayak so wearing the right protective gear is a must.
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I really kind of do worry about this. I almost have a stroke if I jump in the shower before it's to warmed up. Definitely can see it happening and hope my gear would be enough protection, really got to test it in semi real world scenario.

Comment

DonV I don't know if you were trying to be funny or not but I literally LOL when you referenced a stroke in a cold shower. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
            Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Originally posted by assists21 View Post
              DonV I don't know if you were trying to be funny or not but I literally LOL when you referenced a stroke in a cold shower. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well just a little bit.

I really do not deal well with cold water though. Have had to clean up in some cold situations while camping. I try to man up and tell myself just get in there it's not gonna kill me but just can't seem to get over the shock or used to it. Then a little shivering and I can instantly feel my body not wanting to work right. I'm surely not trying to minimize the subject and it is something I think about but I can find a little humor pretty much anywhere and probably where I shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
              X